Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have never been entirely happy with the sound of my system. It sounds good, but not as impressive as I "think/hope" it should sound. The system consists of a Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver, KEF iQ60C Centre, KEF iQ90 Fronts, Emotiva ERD-1 Surrounds, and a Paradigm DSP-3200 Sub. Much of my reading has steered me towards REW to see what's happening. Using a Radio Shack SPL meter and UCA-202 soundcard, I have produced the following graph. My speaker positioning is very limited, and moving the sub around the small area I have resulted in negligible changes in the graphs. Anyway, I'm hoping for some guidance as to how I should next proceed with attempts to improve my listening experience.

Regards,

Blonk

sub measurement.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

I'm pretty new, and not horribly knowledgeable so take what I say with a grain of salt :)

With a large null like you have at 66hz, you won't really be able to EQ that away. (EQ is good for flattening peaks, but it takes a LOT of power to knock nulls upwards even a bit)

You should be able to get some flatter response in other areas with EQ though, taming your 30-60hz range and 70-90hz range a bit.

Have you tried spinning your sub in place, changing where the grill is facing? (And where the port faces, if you have a ported sub?)

When I was playing around with my sub placement, I noticed that facing the grills (I have 2 separate subs) towards the walls/corners where they were placed was causing nulls for me, but spinning them so that the grill/speaker faced my listening area got rid of/substantially improved the nulls.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

Bonk,

Like morik said, there isn’t much you can do about the ~67 Hz null. However, I’m concerned that something else is going on. According to Paradigm’s web site, your sub should be good down to ~22 Hz, but according to your measurement you’ll be doing good to get 30 Hz, even with equalization, before response falls off drastically. You might try a corner location, if one is available. Also, be sure you had the Radio Shack meter set for C weighting and the calibration file loaded.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morik,
the sub faces towards the listening position. I tried rotating it in various directions, but the graphs generated were all very similar, so I left it in it's original location, with the driver and port facing forwards. It does however fire into a lounge about 3-4 feet away.

Wayne,
I have always wondered why my measurements seem to start so much higher than other graphs I have seen. The sub is currently right in a corner. Some time ago I moved it from a different location, where the sub was in the way for day to day activities, and when I moved it, I had to turn the sub amplifier down in order to achieve a level of 75db using the recievers inbuilt test tone. Not sure if this means something or not. I thought I was fairly thorough with calibration of the sound card and setting levels, and calibrating the SPL meter, but maybe I've got it wrong somewhere. So far on the few occaisions I have taken measurements, the result have been fairly similar, with regards to the graphs. The SPL meter has definately been set to C weighting, and the calibration file loaded. Any suggestions as to what I might try next?

Thanks,

Blonk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts