Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
About as much as I will get away with until I build a home. A 57" LCD upgrade is in the plans.
Looks good steve, i would like to do a similar thing with the centre matched to the mains.
And it seems you have every gaming system ever made!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eugovector said:
Are those bass traps or subs in the corners?
The big black tubes are my dual Avalanche 18 LLTs. The white things are absorption pannels and are used throughout the room, as seen in these extra pictures.

thxgoon said:
Looks like you took a lot of time setting that up with all the tilt angles and what not! Is that a Yamaha receiver?
Yeah, I've got everything just right. I have zero plans for any audio upgrading after having completed the second subwoofer, everything sounds great. Watching movies and listening to music is a real treat.....a larger tv down the road would only make things better. Yes, I'm using a Yamaha HTR 5890.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Steve,

Very nice setup. :daydream: Could you post a list of your components or did I miss that? The vertical center is a nice choice - what brand speakers, and component racks?

Thanks.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hmmm... that looks strikingly similar to the Samsung stand I have that will hold a 57" - 67" display. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, the original plan was a 57" LCD, the Honeywell Altura 57" to be exact, but this thing just doesn't seem to be coming to fruition. The tv was supposed to launch last Jan, then last April, then last July, then last October, and now who knows. The website doesn't even answer my emails, I guess it's vaporware.

When it didn't launch last October, I had to move to plan B. The Samsung 650/750 models got rave reviews from every technical website based on objective measurements as well as high subjective praise. After viewing it several times for myself, it definitely looks like a winner. So I think I will be getting the ln52a650. The 42" 1080p Westinghouse will replace my 21" computer monitor - that should be pretty sweet.

The stand is actually a Mitsubishi stand for their DLP models, but it's the only stand out of literally hundreds out there that fit my needs of holding enough weight, being wide enough without being too wide, and having a look that will easily allow me to match it when I build a lower stand to stack it on. All that and the price was ridiculously low because the DLP model in question is discontinued :R

oldmp3 said:
Very nice setup. Could you post a list of your components or did I miss that? The vertical center is a nice choice - what brand speakers, and component racks?
Thanks. I was a bit hesitant to try the vertical center speaker idea, but now I could never go back, much more seamless sound.

Here's my equipment list.

The racks were some Walmart brand, Home Essentials or something, nothing special. You'll notice the tv stand is actually two stands, as I had to build the mini one on the bottom to get the tv the correct height. I'll be doing the same thing with the new stand. I'll be keeping the audio racks....although the grey bars won't match anymore.....I may have to paint them black :scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget the Atari 7800 Master System, Gamecube, and Xbox 360. Sadly I've had almost zero time to play with any of them for the past year. Early retirement is the only path to happiness.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally made up my mind and just placed my order. The new display that will be taking the place of my Westinghouse LVM-42W2 is the Samsung LN52B750. The specs and pq are great, and the new design with TOC grey as opposed to red should go well with my existing audio racks.

Should be here within a couple weeks :yay:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Good for you Steve! You'll appreciate the larger picture- I recently bought a 50" and although it is 720p, I'm glad I bought a 50" vs a 42" 1080p. Watching my first sports on it right now-nba basketball looks great! Enjoy!:T

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, here it is. Two new tv stands - I built the one on bottom. New display, a Samsung LN52B750 LCD. A new arrangement of my equipment which does a much, much better job of hiding the hundreds of cables. A Belkin surge protector which you can't see has been added, as well as some Monoprice cable upgrades.

This tv is pretty slick - to appreciate the size difference, use one of the receivers on the upper rack of the audio towers for scale.

I'm very happy :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Boy those subs are not easy to hide, The lows must really hit you when watching moves in that room.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Sonnie!

tony said:
Boy those subs are not easy to hide, The lows must really hit you when watching moves in that room
Who wants to hide them? :wave: The room would be really plain and empty looking without them. And yes, they are quite capable :hsd:

Next upgrade would logically be a blue ray player, but I'm not exactly itching for one by any means. Maybe when a good quality player comes along for ~$200 and the movies can be had for less than $10 used I'll jump. I'm willing to spend money on HT as can be deduced, but there has to be some sense of value for me to make a purchase, and blue ray currently doesn't exude any sense of value to me.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Next upgrade would logically be a blue ray player, but I'm not exactly itching for one by any means. Maybe when a good quality player comes along for ~$200 and the movies can be had for less than $10 used I'll jump. I'm willing to spend money on HT as can be deduced, but there has to be some sense of value for me to make a purchase, and blue ray currently doesn't exude any sense of value to me.
BluRay has issues, HD DVD was far better and much cheaper for quality gear. My Samsung still has issues playing some BluRay movies usually twice during a movie the video drops out for about 5 seconds, its really annoying.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts