Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: My Three Sons - two front & one down

Nice work Warmon!

You'll have to tell me what you think of that Yamaha P2500S.

Yes let us know how that amp does.

I was really close to buying one a while back but couldn't find much info on them from DIYers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

I was really close to buying one a while back but couldn't find much info on them from DIYers.
I couldn't find much on them either, but the specs are real good, has features built-in that others don't have [high and low filters] and I got it for $330 shipped. I have a Yamaha 6.1 receiver. so it should be a good match.

Man, I HATE daylight savings time. I've lost a few days due to bad weather here and won't make my target of being operational by T-Day...dadgummit! Can't do squat when I get home from work cause it's already ******* DARK...:hissyfit:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

I have never attempted a DYI speaker or sub. Do they sell blue prints for those?
You actually can buy blueprints and even pre-built cabinets, but there are plenty tried and proven designs with drawings and cut sheets for free - especially for some of the more popular drivers like the Soundsplinters. The new Shiva and Tempest is out now and there were lots of designs for the old ones. I suspect these will become very popular over the coming months.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Doesn't time just take a big wet byte out of your @SS.... /QUOTE]

Yeah buddy!...when you have wife, kids, job, two cars and a mortgage, there is never enough time in a day...:unbelievable: I took today off just so I could cleanup some of my mess around here and do the final hand sand and spot prime. The sanding alone took several hours. I hope to have these puppies primed and painted by this time tomorrow.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Hey guys, here's my latest update. My cabinets are almost finished!...:yay:

Today marks the last day I have to lug these guys outside to work on them. My guess is they are 90+ pounds right now and I'll be adding another 20 by the time they're done. This weekend I prepped, primed and painted. The first shot is a little jig I made to shave the bottoms of the feet perfectly flat with the router before attaching my sheet rubber feet. The rubber feet are 3/8" thick and it was "smoking" good time routing them to conform. This week I'll be installing the 6x6 tiles and mounting the drivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts

Sweet Warmon !!!!! I like that edge you routed into the corners.... I had thought similarly about doing that same edge to break things up....

Super cool... Love it...

Could I trouble you, in asking how you did that...?

They are totally cool... !!!! Thanks for the Pics....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Could I trouble you, in asking how you did that...?
No problem Warp. I used a 45 degree chamfer bit. For the top, I just let the router base bump against the top. Near the bottom, I stopped the chamfer 2" above the bottom of the front baffle. This gives the illusion of slimmer in the middle and the legs buttressed. I lightly hand sanded the hard edge left above and below the chamfer to something close to a 1/8 roundover. The only rounover bit I used was a 1/4 on the oak only.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I must say that I am really impressed so far with how those look. I don't want to imagine how they would look when finished because it might kill the "Kids on Xmas morning effect". I can't wait....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

What are you doing with the top....?
The tops are getting some American Olean 6x6 Barella Mocha Porcelain Floor Tiles. I used these same tiles on my AV equipment built-in I did just prior to starting on the subs. The tiles will set just below the top of the oak trim with thinset...grout will be a natural Grey. I wanted to use a single piece of polished 18x18 Travertine, but the wife says make them match. Not a great pic, but this is what they look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts

I look forward to seeing the finished product. Craftmanship looks top notch far! About how much money do have into this? About how many hours? The tile tops are going to look awesome!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

About how much money do have into this? About how many hours?
Thanks! I don't know exactly, but with the amp, speaks and everything else, I would guess between 575 and 600. I have 330 into the amp and 150 into the speaks. The tile work is done and I should have some new pics later today or tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts