Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right folks this is my room. Judging by some of the stunning theatres I've seen on this thread I'm guessing mine is probably the smallest home theatre on here. But hey it's mine and I like it. (And if I had a bigger room then I'd use it!)

2013-01-05 11.23.09.png

2013-01-05 11.22.40.png

And looking back from the screen.

2013-01-05 11.20.33.png

My gear isn't anything to get excited about I'm afraid. We're hoping to get the house extended in the future and I'd like to try and work a new home theatre in there somewhere, then I'll look to seriously upgrading stuff.
The screen is an LG 50PS3000 50inch plasma. About the biggest I could put in here without getting stupid.
My amp is a Philips FR984 with the original sat speakers at the moment and a Philips SW968 sub. And it's hooked up to a PS3 which I use for movies and gaming.
I'd be interested to know what you make of my room and if anyone's got any suggestions on making better use of the admittedly small space?
I don't know much about acoustics or whether it really matters in a smaller room. The biggest issue is the ridiculously low ceiling in here at 5' 3". I'm also thinking about a better colour scheme to give at least the impression of more space. But I don't want to end up going too light.
So there we are. Any ideas would be aprreciated.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you like it then that's all that matters. As for adding or changing... Something better as far as speakers/AVR would be tops on my list. That said you don't need much for such a small room. Denon/Boston makes a 5.1 HTIB that could give you much better sound so does onkyo. The Andrew Jones speakers from Pioneer might actually fit in this space and they cost next to nothing when compared to their performance.

Once you have an update to your audio you could start looking at treating the room. Beyond that it's all about waiting till your remodel.

Room looks good. Welcome!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The front speakers are something I'm looking at doing soon. Not really sure what to get in relation to the room though. I've had my eye on a few floor speakers but can't help but wonder if it's necessary in a room like this. Also when it comes to treating the room I'm not really sure what that means? Acoustic panels? Soundproofing? But that be something that a room this shape and size would benefit from?

Oh and the skylights have got pretty good roll down blinds on them both. Just happen to be open for the pictures.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Personally, mate, I like it. It looks to be super cozy!

As far as the color scheme, the only thing I might do differently would be painting the ceiling black and the doing some kind of painted star ceiling. That would give a feeling of more space IMO. Then, you could do that same blue that is on the ceiling on the side walls.

However, that is the only thing I might suggest - again, it looks like a great space!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the low ceiling that's the problem. I'd like to find some way of giving the impression of more height. The loft conversion was done when we bought the house otherwise it's not something I would of ever thought of doing with such a small space. A star ceiling would have been an idea if the room wasn't already dry lined but with no access behind the boards now I can't see how it could be done. Can you get some sort of kit for painting a star cieling? Would it not look a bit naff when you can't even stand up in room?

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
My line of thinking was something like laying outside at night and stargazing - I always get a feeling of spaciousness when I do that. It makes me feel quite small. :bigsmile:

I know that Mario (mcascio) recently painted his star ceiling - not sure if he did it himself or if he had it done. I did mine with fiber optic line so I am not familiar with any kits unfortunately.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do really like the idea. I just wonder whether the exceptionally low ceiling would spoil the effect. It's something I think would be better done professionally too but am struggling to find anyone even vaguely local. I was thinking whether the room could be kind of based around the idea of a fifties drive-in theatre. Maybe paint the side walls and the lower half of the screen wall in a different colour with the rest painted to look like open sky.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean an open night sky. With the painted star ceiling. Sorry should have been clearer. No I agree too light a colour would detract from the screen.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I love this little room, a totally cozy retreat, with lots of disc storage to boot. I'd say if you're looking at upgrading, look for a more standard receiver that has as high a version of Audyssey as you can find (check out accessories for less, or watch the deals thread here at the Shack). You could still use those Philips speakers until you're ready to upgrade again, and then you can slowly swap them out as you go. The Audyssey processing might help with any room issues.

I like the idea of the star ceiling, but (as a tall guy) I'd be concerned about standing up right through your ceiling if it was a convincing one!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Owen I'm glad you like it. I was a bit worried it would get laughed off here when I saw some of the other rooms on this thread. Audyssey you say? I've had a look around online and from what I can see the main aspect of this tech is the self calibrating feature? Is that right?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks Owen I'm glad you like it. I was a bit worried it would get laughed off here when I saw some of the other rooms on this thread. Audyssey you say? I've had a look around online and from what I can see the main aspect of this tech is the self calibrating feature? Is that right?
You don't have to worry about being laughed at ..a HT Is what you make of it and if your happy that's all that matters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. It's the fact you can't even stand up in there I think is a source of slight embarrassment. I've got friends who think I'm nuts trying to use the room at all. My arguement is you don't watch movies standing up. Thats why they put chairs in the cinema.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Completely agree with JQueen - I think it is a great space and you should be extremely happy with it. You have taken a space that probably could not be used for much else and made it a place of comfort and enjoyment.

As far as Audyssey, it is a software included in most new AVR units that tests your area using a microphone and pink noise to determine distance / delay settings for all your speakers so that sound arrives at the primary listening position at the same time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Add some grips on the ceilings and make it a dual purpose rock climbing wall. If every time you entered and left you climbed the room you would develop nice muscles to shut your friends up.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Another upgrade would be a remote control car track for micro racers in the unused space between the screen and seating. A simple PVC barrier track on painted plywood.

They do make glow in the dark sticker stars that I have used in the kids room but they would distract from movies.

You could try lowering the seating to make the room bigger. Ever thought of one of those on ground couch type setups? Or a cheap low sitting futon?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts