Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

My uncles dedicated stereo room

12K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  DEANO222 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got my uncle to send me some photos of him room. Ya... kinda nuts, he has cooling on the amps to channel outside into the laundry room and baskets in odd ball places he says is an effective diffusion setup same with the floor stuff he has. He made some diffusion strips out of 2x6 lumber that is stained and are located in the corners, he use to have 6 of the ACS tube traps but is down to just one behind his head which not sure why but oh well. he built is QRD panels that are stained on the rear/sides of his room you can see some cables thrown over one of them, he also made the big blag resonating absorb er and the Helmholtz panels in the back since he had an issue with a particular frequency. His gear, for what I do know about the stuff:

Krell FPB 350mc monoblocks
Audio Research Ref 600s
Apogee Duetta II Signatures
Basis Audio deck
tons of tube FM tuners
lots of other stuff
more stuff
All mapleshade isolation blocks under the amps/speakers/preamp/table

He use to have a couch at the listening position but got rid of it and opted for the computer chair which can be seen in one of the photos. He switches from the krells to the ref 600s depending on what he feels like listening to. he has a few of the wet cleaning machines for his LPs, and a few older but high end tube testers laying around too.

He is my inspiration to continue to never be happy and always desire more/better

Figured I'd share

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing! I've been wondering what his room looks like. Ironically if you shrunk the speakers down, it looks suspiciously like my 12 year old sons room(minus the fords randomly placed). I'm sure the crane has a purpose with the thing hanging from it but I can't figure what. Lol

#6 ·
He has all sorts of stuff all over the place. His logic... anything helps break out the sound.

Baskets and bricks all over the floor?

That's the busiest audio room I think I've ever seen. How does he get around?
Haha... ya he gets that alot. The bricks/baskets acts as diffusion for the floor... I thought he was crazy so he removed them from the floor... played me a song... then replayed the same song while he put them back. by the time he got to the end of the song I was floored at hearing the difference as he was putting more in. It does work.

#9 ·
I forgot to mention he took his Apogee's apart and refinished them with some paint and added some insulating paint additive from here: http://www.hytechsales.com/

he said that this helps hide the sides of the speakers because they absorb higher frequencies.

#10 ·
He told me he is at 1,000 cd's and 3,000 LP's. And now his system is dialed in after 12 years of building his room to the point where he just wants to collect more music now. He wants another 2,000+ LP's.

Yes, he listens for 8hrs at a time... his system gives 0 fatigue but he mainly listens around 80-85db too to help not fatigue his ears.... until he plays pink floyd he says you have to play pink floyd at 95db... no questions asked.

#13 ·
You think his audio room is nuts... check out his garage. Yes he's a ford nut.

(thats a 900hp 71' torino GT, 700hp 03' cobra and 750hp 07 shelby)

...and vintage tube integrated from the 70s with some kinda of 70s speakers for the garage too lol.

Attachments

#30 ·
Well I had to make an emergency trip to Indiana last week for a funeral and stopped at my Uncles for some more demo. That system is just unbelievable... so unbelievable.

I took a few quick snaphsots with my phone. Here they be:

Attachments

#32 ·
I'm sure it is. He has 17 vintage tuners for sure all from the 60s-mid 70s. He's a collector and is constantly upgrading the caps and other parts to bring life to them. His system plays 24/7 when on the solid state gear but he does shut it off for the tube stuff to preserve hours.

When I was up there last week I listened to his apogee's with the Krell 350 monoblocks. He has some 12 layers of isolation under his turntable which includes the custom 4" thick maple shelve he made. All the maple blocks he made except for the ones under the krells those are from mapleshade.

The diffusers right above speakers are the RPG skyline there are 18 of them and he bought them when they were made back in the mid 90s at a dealer cost of 75/ea. now they are alot more. The boards that run along the ceiling/wall are a mimic of the RPG flutter free product and he made those himself using 2x6 material. He says the baskets work good and are cheap just goto any hobby store or he bought his from Pier 1 imports for around 10/ea. The diffusers on the left/right of each octa window are little mini rpgs that were from an audio show he got for 50ea and the center rpg 2d was another one he got at an audio show for cheap.

I really should of got a shot of the other side of the rack.... there are a thousand cords it's crazy. He even has two splitter banks for his FM antenna on his roof (he has two antennas) so all the tuners can share.

#33 ·
Now I am mad Talley, you came into my state and did not tell me ?? We at least needed to have a drink and say hi. You need to be punished now.

Besides that outside area looks like the fairgrounds near me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.