Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a single Heathkit SS-1 speaker for $20, made in the mid '50s when everything was mono. It uses a Jensen 103/106 horn and Jensen 8" woofer. It sounds pretty amazing and crystal clear.

I opened it and tested the single cap which has drifted as expected for a 45 year old cap. The cap is labeled 85uf, but I've read it is supposed to be a 2uf paper cap which makes more sense. It tests as 2.66 uf so the crossover point to the horn is off. The 8" woofer runs full range w/o a x-over just like my Altecs. I'm going to rebuild the crossover, rewire w/ Kimber, better binding posts, and refinish the cabinet to match my vintage Altecs.

Here are 2 links on the SS-1:
http://www.heathkit-museum.com/hifi/hvmss-1.shtml
http://members.myactv.net/~je245/vintagebudgetspks.htm

Could this be the center channel and the beginning of a 5.1 system using my '79 Altec Model 15 for L+R?:D

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
That is quite a score. Congratulations and I hope it brings you many years of joy.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks for the pictures (links)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
That is quite a score. Congratulations and I hope it brings you many years of joy.
Cheers,
JJ
Jack,
I've got it apart and I've begun refinishing it today. A $2.50 Solen 2uf Fast Cap for the crossover costs $7 to ship so I may wait a bit to rewire it. Plus I don't have a AVR yet to use this speaker as the center channel so I'm planning for the future anyway.
I also have an acquaintance who has a Heathkit mono tube amp and mono tube fm tuner from that era, so I may offer it to him if I don't use it in a 5.1 system w/ my Altecs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just refinished the cabinet on my 1955 Heathkit SS-1 2-way speaker (8" Jensen woofer and Jensen horn, both with Alnico magnets).

I made an acquaintance who had a Heathkit AA-181 mono tube amp and AJ-31 mono tube FM tuner that he had acquired from his father-in-law that he used in his dentist office. The speaker needed to belong together with this mono system, so I gave him the speaker to complete this vintage mono tube system. Obviously he was thrilled, and I feel satisfied to bless him.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Very cool act of generosity, mjcmt. :TT

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Very cool gesture. :T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts