Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

my wife kicked me and my speakers out of the living room!

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  B- one 
#1 ·
so i am looking in to a room 12'x 8' x8' brick all around currently no ceilling, is these even possible? i have more than enough heavy drapes to cover every single wall.

#2 ·
Anything is possible, results may vary.:D

#3 ·
How do you have 'no ceiling'? Is there roof but with open rafters and no insulation? Just curious as you may need to put something up their to control the temperature.

As for the 'all brick', you'll need to do acoustical treatments. That will be an extremely live room, especially in the bass.

#5 ·
Full drapes will just take all the life out of the upper mids and highs and leave the bass out of control - even moreso since the walls are brick and won't flex like more standard construction.

Bryan

#7 ·
Now you can have a "my room." I have one of those. I tell my wife that the rest of the house is hers, but that room is MINE, MINE, MINE:) Décor is all black, nearly wall to wall speakers, man sized recliners, bass traps galore, you get the picture.

So, count it as a blessing, our friend. Better days ahead:D.

#14 ·
Well i made the plans of the house, if any body cares ill post them, used sketchup 8.

As far as ceilling there is none right now, that room right now is an inner pattio, wich gives the chance of building accordong to my needs.

Btw I forgot to post my gear:

Onkyo 609
Polk
Center cs101751
4 polk r10 as fronts and suround
Subs 2:
Polk Psw250
Klh asw10-120
Rear channels 2 pannasonic sb-hf950 ceiling mounted
Projector
benq ep5920
Screen diy boc 54x96 16:9

I am very motivated, but the more i read, more aware i become that i have no idea what i am doing.

Really open to suggestions.

#18 ·
Are the double doors already there? If not, I would consider doing a single entry door. That way, you would have room to do rear traps as well as front. I think my biggest worry would be taming the low end...

Not sure what your plans are for seating, but if it was my room I would probably go with one row at around the 10-11' mark. If you need more seating than that, I would do bean bag chairs for floor seating.

#19 ·
I have never had this problem... When we looked for homes there were certain things I had to have and they had to agree to it.

1: Home Theater room
2: Garage
3: Pond area

In my current house I have all 3 but I want a more dedicated HT room and will be converting the garage to a HT (someday when finances allow).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.