Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was pleasantly surprised to find this section of the forum, what a great idea. This forum is markedly different than many of the others out there (in a good way), and this section is a part of that. My wife's mom was diagnosed in Dec 2005 with colorectal cancer (stage 4). She underwent chemotherapy and radiation for a lengthy period this Spring. Between the effects of the treatments, her already being very thin, and having smoked for almost 50 years, they had to cut the treatments short and hospitalize her for 2 weeks or so just to get her healthier and put a little weight back on. The actual surgery, originally scheduled for July, was just done a couple days ago. It was an 8 hour surgery and went better than expected, but while the surgeon did everything he set out to, a cancerous tumor was discovered in her liver. Needless to say, this was devastating to my wife and all family involved. The plan, according to the cancer surgeon, is to allow 3-6 months recovery from present surgery, then press forward with more tests then an appropriate procedure for newly found condition, hoping to not find more places on the liver (a real possibility). Keep my wife and her mom especially in your thoughts and prayers. This has been a tough time in our household, spending much time at the hospital or making the 1 1/2 hour drive to and from.

Thanks to All,
Mark

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hi Mark... this definitely appears to be a heavy burden on the family and no doubt very trying times. In times like these, there's really only prayer, hope and love that get's you through it all. You and your family, and especially your mother-in-law, will all be in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sonnie- Thanks for your concern and thoughts. Yes, it has been trying. I know the Lord will get us through this, we just need to be prepared for the outcome and whatever His plan may be.

Thank You,
Mark

A

·
0 Posts
I will be praying for your mother in law, you, and your family.
If you have any specific requests that develop, feel free to send
me an email and let me know.

akitaboy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sonnie & akitaboy -
My mother-in-law remains in the hospital following 8 hours of colon cancer surgery on 8/29. The surgeon expected her to be hospitalized for 7-10 days, but she has not progressed that well up to now. She is still on oxygen, being fed through tube & some soft foods, and is not walking much yet. About 5 days ago the surgeon told her about the cancerous tumor which was discovered in her liver, and this seems to have taken the wind out of her sails somewhat. We expect she will remain there for at least a couple more weeks or until she can walk some, stay off oxygen, and eat normally. Thanks to all who have held us up and prayed over this.

Thanks Again,
Mark

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
It's at least good news that she made it through the long surgery on 8/29. I will continue to pray for her and all your family.

E

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear bad news of your mother-in-law's colon cancer and may GOD bless her for recovery. Mark, please take good care of yourself and your family as I know it is very tough going.

I am going for endoscopy next Tuesday as there is a family case. My family doctor (is my uncle) told me to do it around age 50 or 10 years before the elder family member who diagonse with colon cancer.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Mark, I had a relative with cancer and I know how hard it is sometimes, i'll definately be praying for you mate.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mark, my prayers are with you, I recently lossed my mother to cancer, after my father passed away a couple of months previous, and it was a great help to hear the words of support from the good people on this forum.

I received a lot of great advice and it made it easier to handle the curve balls being thrown at me.

I hope the treatment goes well, make sure that your whole family rallies around her to show how much she is needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eric-
Thank you for your prayers and concern. It has been a tough time but we are getting through it day by day. We will pray for you by name on Tuesday for a good finding.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Danny- Thanks for your prayers and for taking the time to post. My wife and I have been lifted up by the thoughts and prayers received here.

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve-
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your Mom and Dad. Thank you for your prayers and concern. As you said, we have been surprised and pleased to receive the well wishes and prayers of members here on HTS. This Care Chapel is a great idea and a way to bind us together on a higher plane. The support we have received from family, friends, our church, and here has made the difference and made a tough time a little easier.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sonnie-
Thanks for asking. She was finally released from the hospital about a week and a half ago, and came here to recover with my wife and I. She needed alot of help at first just to get around, etc, but slowly started walking, moving, and making slow but steady improvement. Just a couple days ago, she was feeling well enough to return home (just north of Myrtle Beach) and did just that. So for now things are fine, there is already an appt scheduled at Duke University Hospital to evaluate the liver cancer (found during surgery) to determine how to proceed.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
I got this e-mail today from my wife's college friend. He made a full recovery from cancer. There is always hope!

Hi! This is just to say today marks the anniversary of my CT scan after my bone marrow transplant. 5 years! That means officially I am “cured” of Hodgkin’s disease.

Pete

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
'Naut-
It is great to see a cancer story with a pleasant ending, I appreciate you posting it. It shows this disease can be beaten.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Banned
357 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Cancer should be something we can fix or avoind in the years to come...

I have a very good friend named Teeli, he was a young lad that I took under my wing when I was in control over at MHQ (now closed). His father had a form skin cancer eating away at his mouth. This was a horrible case as towards the end he had little of his physical mouth left, so it was dressed and he was tube fed a baby food solution On top of this his weight declined severly... picture 6'2" 250lbs man dropping to 96lbs over a period of 4 months.

This is not to say you mother-in-law isn't as severe or whatever, but after helping Teeli cope with this I know well what you are in for and if you need to talk, you know my AIM and MSN.

~Bob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob-
I appreciate your thoughts and post. Yes, cancer can be a terrrible disease. For now, things have stabilized here. The surgeon got everything out he planned to, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread found some cancer in her liver. That will be the next obstacle once she has recovered enough for more treatments. Thanks for thinking of us. My wife Belinda and I thank you and all other Shacksters who have posted. I appreciate your offer and I'll certainly keep it in mind as we probably have more rough days ahead when the liver issue is dealt with.

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts