Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many aeons ago, about the time SVS started becoming big news actually, I was already intrigued by the possibility of making a DIY sub based on the tube design and already had pretty much everything figured out with regards to driver, amp and enclosure selection (including having used a great cylindrical 'calcumulator tool-ama-thing' to figure out the volume and port needed) but never got around to actually making it....

All this time I have been quasi-"basseless" so now the time has arrived to put an end to this! :hissyfit:
;)

I know that I should be reading as much as I can to find out everything I need, but I'm afraid I just don't have the time to figure anything out as much as I would like. I'll be very lucky if I get around to building it this time soooo...
I hope you don't mind me asking my question as follows:

What would I need to equall or surpass subs the likes of the Epik Knight, eD A5-350 with 550W amp or the MFW15 for that matter. I'm looking for maximum SPL, low-distortion, VERY low extension here (which is actually pretty much what everyone is looking for I suppose...:sneeky:) and am not really concerned with response for musicality and such as my main speakers can cope enough on their own (this is also the reason why I have managed to survive as long as I have without a sub)

For simplicity, I'll add that sonosub still seems the way to go for me since IB or a box-enclosure period would become too much of a hastle.

Another important issue to take into consideration is the budget with added to that the fact that I live in Europe. This is especially important with regards to the speaker selection as shipping such an item is quite costly at times if for instance the driver is only distributed in the US.

I have calculated that in order for me to get something like the eD A5-350 over here, I would effectively be paying somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1100$.
I'm guessing that for the money, I would be able to get some good eurotrash stuff or some yankee-doodle parts over here :mooooh:

The EP2500 seems like a good candidate amp, but other suggestions are welcome (keeping in mind the europe aspect). I was also looking at the a500 which, though less powerful, seems like another plausible choice.

So pleaaaase oh great shackians, enlighten me and share with me your great wisdom and experience!!!
:hail::hail::hail:

PS:
I have been looking in the database for reference and have to say it is great to see that something like this exists!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: n00b ALERT: help a poor european guy select his gear...

Belgium, but I fail to see why sub distributors from Australia would be of benefit to me ;)
Did you by any chance mean Austria??

·
Registered
116 Posts

Belgium, but I fail to see why sub distributors from Australia would be of benefit to me ;)
I was going fire back the old shrimp on the barbie joke but you beat me. Do Aussies even eat shrimp? :wits-end:

Surely someone in Europe sales decent drivers. Here's a quick googling http://www.streamingaudio.se/

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

Sorry, had a brain cramp. :duh: I thought Australia was closer to you then it is. I was trying to find a cheaper shipping option other than the U.S.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I was going fire back the old shrimp on the barbie joke but you beat me. Do Aussies even eat shrimp? :wits-end:

Surely someone in Europe sales decent drivers. Here's a quick googling
Thx great link! ;-)
I had already found a link to a dutch shop that sells Dayton and Monacor drivers but I can't post the link just yet as I don't have 5 posts under my belt :crying:
My options are definitely increasing though!

If I can find somewhere where they also sell the SDX15 and the TC2000, I think I'm set for selecting the driver of my choice based on price/performance ;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sorry, had a brain cramp. :duh: I thought Australia was closer to you then it is. I was trying to find a cheaper shipping option other than the U.S.
hehe, it's actually quite a ways away for us ;)
But thx for the attempted assist anyway!

Now, if I were to use something like an SDX15, the behringer a500 amp and a decent volume sized sonotube, would I be able to knock the pants off of the likes of an eD A5-350 with 550W amp way down low?
Or is a thing like that not in the cards?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Surely someone in Europe sales decent drivers. Here's a quick googling
So I wrote a reply to this yesterday, but after posting it said something about the mods having to approve first since I'm new to this forum and such....
Apparantly all of a sudden now I can reply without problems but can't remember for the life of me remember what I replied :d

anyway, thx for the link Hunter! Greatly appreciated.
I also found a place in holland where they sell Dayton and Monacor subwoofer drivers...

The only one left to draw into the price/performance comparison afaik is the SDX15 and the RL-P15...
Soundsplinter apparantly ships internationally but I'm guessing the added cost will prove too high.
The SDX15 is tempting provided that someone in Canada orders one for me and sends it my way after I paid him :R
Any Canooks in here??? ;)

The TCsounds Revo, is that something I should consider as well?

So far though everything is pointing towards the tempest-X for its price/availibility...
If I put this together with the EP2500 I have my eye on together with a sizeable tube (maybe not LLT-size, but still...) would I have an A5-350 (550W) beater here?
If yes, would an a500 amp suffice as well for this purpose?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thx man, had already found this one through collo's site but still great :T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts