96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my system:
Primary Source: Toshiba DVD SD-2700
Receiver: Sony STR-DE675
Samson S-Convert
EQ: DSP-1124P
Amp: Behringer EP2500
Subs: 2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15" 3.5Ft^3 @28Hz each (1 to each channel at 4 ohms, one on each side of the TV)

Here is my sound card cal. Soundcard Behringer U-Control UCA200. Mic is a Galaxy CM-140
soundcard_cal3_101209.jpg

Notes: When calibrating the sound card the Sweep level was at -12.0. The speaker level is set through the control panel at 100 and the mic level is at 25. Sampling was at 48K Hz.

Question: Is the level setting ok?

Notes on Check Levels: The Sweep Level was at -18.0 dB FS. The speaker level was at 100 and the mic level was at 100. The receiver volume was at 20. The SPL meter was hovering around 75. I'm using the right side input and out on the soundcard, going into the receiver's L & R AUX inputs with a splitter.

Question: Am I on the right path?

Some notes on my listening habits. The receiver volume was at my low listening level (20). When I watch a movie its usually at 25. The loudest I'll listen to it is at 32.

Calibrating the SPL meter checked out at 75.6

With all that said here is my first measurement.
measure4_101209.jpg

Sorry for the clutter.

Notes:I ran through the filter task. Searched for peaks from 20-100Hz. It gave me one at around 33Hz. I clicked the Optimise the Filter Settings. I don't think anything happened. Go figure. Then I shot them over to the BFD via MIDI to filter 1, First left then right.

Question: When sending to the BFD, is it done one channel at a time?

This is my measurement with the filter in place.
measure5_withfilters_101209.jpg

Does any of this look right?

Sorry for being long winded. Audio Gods, your critiques and advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Notes: When calibrating the sound card the Sweep level was at -12.0. The speaker level is set through the control panel at 100 and the mic level is at 25. Sampling was at 48K Hz.

Question: Is the level setting ok?
The soundcard cal looks fine, but I'm confused about your statement, "and the mic level is at 25".
What mic level? You should be using line-in, not mic-in.

The Sweep Level was at -18.0 dB FS. The speaker level was at 100 and the mic level was at 100. The receiver volume was at 20. The SPL meter was hovering around 75. I'm using the right side input and out on the soundcard, going into the receiver's L & R AUX inputs with a splitter.

Question: Am I on the right path?
Yes.

This is my measurement with the filter in place.
Does any of this look right?
Well, once REW created the filters for you, I would manually add and alter at that point to get rid of the peak you were left with at ~50Hz..

brucek

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The soundcard cal looks fine, but I'm confused about your statement, "and the mic level is at 25".
What mic level? You should be using line-in, not mic-in.

Yes.
I should mention that I am using Windows Vista Home Basic, SP1. In the control panel I had no option for "line-in". I did not down load any driver from Behringer for the soundcard. I'll be looking into this.

Well, once REW created the filters for you, I would manually add and alter at that point to get rid of the peak you were left with at ~50Hz..

brucek
Thanks for the advice. This is some really neat stuff. It'll take some time for me to wrap my head around it. I just want to make sure I have the basics down and repeatable first. Again, thanks.

Hugo

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I should mention that I am using Windows Vista Home Basic, SP1
Why haven't you updated to the latest service pack?

In the control panel I had no option for "line-in". I did not down load any driver from Behringer for the soundcard. I'll be looking into this.
Ah yeah, I believe the UCA-200/202 is one card that doesn't allow control of its input volume. The Edirol UA-1A is another that has that unfortunate 'feature'.

brucek

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why haven't you updated to the latest service pack?brucek

:dontknow:

Ah yeah, I believe the UCA-200/202 is one card that doesn't allow control of its input volume. The Edirol UA-1A is another that has that unfortunate 'feature'.

brucek
How is this going to effect my measuring? Was adjusting the mic-in level bad for calibrating the sound card and checking levels?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Was adjusting the mic-in level bad for calibrating the sound card and checking levels?
I'm just confused where this mic-in level is being adjusted. The soundcard only has a line-in.

brucek

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just confused where this mic-in level is being adjusted. The soundcard only has a line-in.

brucek
I navigate to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Sound. From there I click on the Recording tab. I select the USB microphone (USB Audio CODEC). Then I select the Level tab and adjust the level as needed. The driver is from microsoft. What do you think?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I updated Vista with SP2 in hopes this would fix my line-in issue. No dice. :( I did a search and apparently my sound card is a basic card behringer offers with some of their mixers. Nice, and here I thought I was getting a good deal on ebay. Live and learn. I'm off to try a UCA-202. Brucek, thank you for all of you time and help. I shall return soon. Thanks all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts