Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a UCA222 and was running REW using my RadioShack Digital SPL Meter and inputted the data into my Emotica UMC-200, but the sound is very muddy. I suppose this makes sense since it only good up to 3Khz. So I decided to purchase the Behringer ECM8000, but now it appears that I need to buy another piece of equipment to power it. I have no idea what I need. I didn't want to spend anymore than like $25 additional. What are my options? I see the Behringer 502 being thrown around, but it's a little out of my price range and I'm not even sure it will work. Please help me :crying::crying:

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I didn't want to spend anymore than like $25 additional. What are my options?
Sorry friend, but you entered the "slippery slope" zone when you picked this hobby, where it comes to spending money, especially if you are getting into taking measurements for system improvement. I predict than in a few years you will have surpassed that $25 self-imposed limit by x100 or more.

If that thought is abhorrent to you, run away now!

Possible directions:
  1. Sell what you have just purchased and buy a UMIK-1 mic and a good calibrated SPL meter, both from Cross Spectrum Labs. Then you will be set to take some real precision measurements; OR...
  2. Have your ECM8000 calibrated by Cross Spectrum Labs and buy a calibrated SPL meter from them, and buy a decent 2-input audio interface like the Tascam US-2x2 ($150). This direction ultimately gives you more options in the kind of measurements can make in the future (vs. a USB mic), including timing-critical measurements, but is for those who have a strong technical background.

·
Super Moderator
9,203 Posts

It’s going to be hard to find even a decent used USB pre amp / interface for $25. Plus, you’ll still be dealing with a mic that’s not calibrated, so the measurements won’t be entirely accurate at the low and high end.

Your cheapest route will be to find someone selling a used calibrated UMIK or similar mic, but even that will be way more than $25. If you can do that and sell or return your UCA and ECM, the total outlay might end up being something you can live with. But as AudiocRaver noted, a calibrated ECM with USB pre-amp/interface offers more measurement options.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. This is not good news. I purchased the ecm8000 because there was posted .cal files. I didn't realize that I opened pandora's box. I was thinking I could buy this and because it has phantom power:

InnoGear® 1- Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply with Adapter for Any Condenser Microphone Music Recording Equipment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAPGLQC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_dJ06wbQ3MP4K6

I figured even a "subpar" mic setup would still be better than than the room correction that comes with the umc200, but if that's not the case, I might be sending back the ecm8000 I guess....

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Wow. This is not good news. I purchased the ecm8000 because there was posted .cal files. I didn't realize that I opened pandora's box. I was thinking I could buy this and because it has phantom power:

InnoGear® 1- Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply with Adapter for Any Condenser Microphone Music Recording Equipment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAPGLQC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_dJ06wbQ3MP4K6
That is a power supply only. You need an audio interface with USB connection to your computer.

I figured even a "subpar" mic setup would still be better than than the room correction that comes with the umc200, but if that's not the case, I might be sending back the ecm8000 I guess....
The ECM8000 is an OK mic. Did not realize it came with calibration file. Your logic is correct, it would be a decent way to calibrate your system. But you still need real audio interface, which will have phantom power, so the above power supply is not needed.

I'm guessing this is what I shoulf have bought:

miniDSP UMIK-1 USB Measurement Calibrated Microphone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N4Q25R8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_RV06wbKKX3ETG
The UMIK-1 is another way to go. If you get one, most folks around here buy direct from Cross Spectrum Labs, which does a more detailed calibration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as the umik goes, How can I send the frequency test to each speaker? It would seem that I still need the uca222.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
As far as the umik goes, How can I send the frequency test to each speaker? It would seem that I still need the uca222.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
If HDMI output from the compter is used, then the UCA222 is not needed. REW allows selection of the output as long as ASIO drivers are used, as I recall.

If analog out from the computer is needed, then the UCA222 can provide it, or the computer's line or headphone out, although their LF and HF cutoff points are generally unknown (they are unknown with the UCA222 also).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts