Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking about building a new subwoofer lately and started looking around at amps and doing some pricing. I ran across a Nady spa2400 for about $290 shipped and was wondering if this is a good amplifier for a subwoofer in my home. I cant find a whole lot about it other than its possibly the same thing as the behringer ep2500. Which if that really is a the case i think it would be a great buy. So figured i would throw it out here and ask if anybody here has experience with this amp or if i should just stick to finding a deal on an ep2500 or 4000.
Looking at using the Stereo Integrity HT18" sub in about 11cu ft box tuned around 18 hz. I know that amp is much larger than i need for just the one but i might decide later i want 2 :) that and its not much more expensive to get the larger amp so why not? If i looked at that right 2 of these at 600watts each would be over 120db at 20hz.
Also while i am at it...what is the recommended equipment for the subsonic filter these days? If i got the nady amp i was slightly hopeful their CX-22SW Crossover would work since it doesnt seem that bad expensive compared to some of the other subsonic filters i have seen previously. Pretty sure from what i saw in the book the nady crossover wont work for that. I am not to familiar with them though so looking for input and ideas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It appears that the Low Cut (High Pass) of the crossover is 30 Hz. Depending on what you are after that may be to high. It would be for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike. that should do it for sure. was hoping there was something that wasnt so feature rich at lower price points. Looks like that will probably be about it.

Forgot i need to check out adapting over to proaudio from my home audio products.

So nobody familiar with the nady amp?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Mike. that should do it for sure. was hoping there was something that wasnt so feature rich at lower price points. Looks like that will probably be about it.

Forgot i need to check out adapting over to proaudio from my home audio products.

So nobody familiar with the nady amp?
I use an Elemental Designs EQ.2 but new it's also $100, has an adjustable HPF and 2 band parametric EQ. I picked mine up used for $50.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just another thought here...if i didnt end up using a pro audio amp and used an old school home audio amp like say a carver adcom hafler something of the sort. Do those already have that high pass filter in them? if not how do i handle that then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm that mini dsp looks like a matter of plug it into the computer set the filter how i want it plug it to my LFE out and then to the amp from there...simple enough. over priced but atleast its small.
Now i guess i need to decide if i should use home audio stuff. I am thinking they would be nice to have. I would think the sound quality of a carver would be a good bit better than say a behringer. Price perwatt is still better on the behringer but if i go used on the carver it wont be to far off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking really tempting to pick up a behringer ep2500 and saw 4 used tempests for sale. Only think that bothers me with that is seeing another thread that somebody else posted built 3 tempest sonotubes and he says its still not enough lol. If not those tempest i will still be watching the SI HT 18" about the same size box it looks like as the tempest but can only really do 2 of them on that amp so i do think the tempest wins in the sheer volume. if i got the model right looks like they hit slightly lower. Only real draw back is that tempest takes a huge box for a 15. Any other affordable woofers that compete with the 18" SI HT?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i suppose it depends on what the setup would be. If its a single beast iw ould be willing to search wait and buy in the future. If it will be a multiwoofer setup i would probably shoot for $200 and under. I guess mostly because it looks like that SI sets the bar fairly high for price point lol.Now it there a monster thats around 600 that could compete with multiwoofers in the same price i would check it out. That is of course saying compete and be using the same amp. Say an ep2500/4000. Nice thing with multiple subs is i can get them over a period of timed if needed. I might become happy with less than planned. I actually have a pair of dayton reference 12s with 300w bash amps...mmmaah they are ok but can do better. I might actually pick up a behringer just to put on them and see what happens :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well i suppose it depends on what the setup would be. If its a single beast iw ould be willing to search wait and buy in the future. If it will be a multiwoofer setup i would probably shoot for $200 and under. I guess mostly because it looks like that SI sets the bar fairly high for price point lol.Now it there a monster thats around 600 that could compete with multiwoofers in the same price i would check it out. That is of course saying compete and be using the same amp. Say an ep2500/4000. Nice thing with multiple subs is i can get them over a period of timed if needed. I might become happy with less than planned. I actually have a pair of dayton reference 12s with 300w bash amps...mmmaah they are ok but can do better. I might actually pick up a behringer just to put on them and see what happens :)
I ran my 2 CSS SD12's off a Behringer A500 (300 X 2 @ 4 ohms) for a few months before I picked up a Crown 802D (800 X 2 @ 4 ohms) and the difference was significant. IMO it's worth a try. If nothing else you'll have the amp to power the better sub(s)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats probably what i will do. Start with a new amp for the current subs and add to it down the road. I might think about rebuilding a new ported box for the daytons for music. Shrink the box and tune it higher. What is the ideal in a home for music? I always just looked at doing it for theater duty first. Actually the prebuilt you buy what is the general tuning on something like that? Have somebody that just seems to think i should go buy something instead of building my own. I tell him what i build will wreck anything he buys and do it with less money. So i would kinda like to build a box for those daytons that would put it to the tune of something like a prebuilt setup. I modelled 2 of them in 5ft at 60hz and yeah thats a of a spike like 11bd over the larger lower tuned box. of course that hits its -3db at like 45 hz and the other not until like 21hz lol

Wish i could do a crown LMN just dont think i could afford one

·
Registered
63 Posts
I picked up mine for $299 on sale when they were phasing them out. I've seen what they go for now and it's ridiculous, they were never that high that I saw when still in production.

If you are going to tune anywhere near that high you are definately going to need a high pass filter, it would be really easy to bottom out the sub even with music let alone LFE from a movie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol i wouldnt really tune it that high i was just messing with it. Its pretty crazy how much it can spike. Could easily get an extra 6db from it for music. Realistically i would tune more like 35 for the music.
So whats the real benefit of using a Sonotube? I guess the weight of it but other than that is there some major benefits? Seems like those tubes are pretty expensive, but it might not be so bad when you are looking at a huge box made from mdf. But seems for just a single mid sized box just as well of with the mdf. If i am going to do multiple woofers i may be interested in the sonotubes...especially if the supplier will cut them for me :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts