Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed my choice for my first AVR to these 3, and I can still buy them new within my price range.

Yamaha RX-A740
Denon AVR-X2100
Marantz NR1605

They all have what I need - basic processing, wi-fi, room correction and a reputation for good sound.

My front three speakers are 87db 6ohm speakers, and I probably won't use rears because of space in our small townhome. I'm interested in having a center channel to hear dialogue more clearly, instead of an integrated amp because of my age.

They all have more than enough features, including room correction, and their sound quality is very important. Is any of these a stand-out over the others?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,382 Posts
Just curious, what lead you to those three choices? Two of the three have different price points, two of the three are full sized while the other is half-height, one supports Atmos two do not, two are current models one is discontinued, etc. Seems like they're aimed at different target audiences. Be that as it may...

87dB 6ohm speakers are not a particularly easy load, but you shouldn't really need a powerhouse of a receiver. One suggestion would be to consider those with discreet amplifiers. That way, each channel gets it's own power.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The Denon & the Yammy are the 2 contenders. The Denon is able to drive a 4 & 6 ohm speaker & has 5 more watts of power as well as Audussey which I like better than YPAO. I don't see anything on the Yamaha website indicating it will drive anything other than 8 ohm speakers. Since you know yours are 6 ohms, I think that pretty much means the Denon will be your best choice.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Denon & the Yammy are the 2 contenders. The Denon is able to drive a 4 & 6 ohm speaker & has 5 more watts of power as well as Audussey which I like better than YPAO. I don't see anything on the Yamaha website indicating it will drive anything other than 8 ohm speakers. Since you know yours are 6 ohms, I think that pretty much means the Denon will be your best choice.
I like the Denon products, though Yamaha products sound good and Marantz is warm sounding with a nice artistic small stature. I'm no HT aficionado so looking for you guys advice on which one.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If you have not already looked take a look at www.accessories4less.com I'm thinking you may be able to get an even better price from them and maybe an even better receiver than you first thought.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Then I also say the Denon would be the best choice

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I like Denon products and will be replacing a 23yr old Denon stereo receiver.

When I read reviews from owners on Amazon there where a lot of complaints about wireless quality and freeze ups. Should I be concerned about these? Usually displeased owners are more vocal than satisfied owners.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
wireless is such a small part of the receiver, if it really is that bad there are other ways around it. Im sure it has an Ethernet connection on the back.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,382 Posts
Guess I'm mostly interested in these receivers surround and wi-fi features. Would be nice if they didn't have issues. Kind of gives me cold feet.
If you're mostly interested in wi-fi features, and the receiver you want to buy has a history of wireless issues, than you're right to be concerned. When looking over user feedback, is that problem with older versions of this model or do current reviews reflect the same issue? If the former than perhaps Denon addressed them with a firmware update, but if it's the latter than it might be a hardware problem that can't be rectified easily.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems it may be firmware, but there was a newer version 1 year later so it makes you wonder.

I'm interested in knowing if the Marantz w/ 50wpc for 2 speakers would do well driving only front 3 speakers in a 22x18 living/dining room open space. Or maybe the Yamaha w/ 90wpc for 2 speakers would be noticeably louder.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,382 Posts
I'm interested in knowing if the Marantz w/ 50wpc for 2 speakers would do well driving only front 3 speakers in a 22x18 living/dining room open space. Or maybe the Yamaha w/ 90wpc for 2 speakers would be noticeably louder.
3 speakers or 5, it wouldn't matter for the Marantz - it uses discreet amplification.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Marantz puts out less watts in 5 channel because of the small power supply. They only claim 50 wpc 20-20khz with 2 channel. I hope my 87db, 6 ohm, L-C-R speakers w/o any rears wont be too challenging for it in an 18x22 living space. I really wanted to like the Denon but it has a few bad reviews.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
To be honest, if you read enough reviews you end up finding all sorts of bad things that end up making you question buying. My Onkyo 805 had many rumors of bursting into flames, smoking and HDMI board failures. Bought one anyhow and now 8 years later its still going strong and no plans yet to replace it.

Take reviews with a grain of salt.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,382 Posts
The Marantz puts out less watts in 5 channel because of the small power supply. They only claim 50 wpc 20-20khz with 2 channel. I hope my 87db, 6 ohm, L-C-R speakers w/o any rears wont be too challenging for it in an 18x22 living space.
Correct, a smaller chassis = smaller power. However, the amp channels are discreet, meaning they're independent of each other. No matter how many speakers you hook up each will have its own mini-amp driving that one channel. All the speakers are not drawing from a single "pool", they're separate. Here's a direct quote from Marantz...

"The power amp section features discrete high current power output devices, identical on all 7 channels for precision soundstage uniformity. Rated at 50 watts per channel (20Hz~20kHz, .08%THD, 8 ohms), the NR1606 features low impedance drive capability and is compatible with 4 ohm speakers."

That's for the NR1606, but they use the same amp section in the previous generation 1605 as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts