Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to check a measurement mic frequency response and of course a speaker will color the graph.

I have heard an Air Compressor can be used to generate full audio spectrum Pink Noise. True? Other sources of Pink Noise?

Or.. I there a good DIY way of getting an accurate frequency response graph of a mic.

:eek:lddude:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I’ve been doing this room measurement stuff since the early ’90s and I’ve never heard of compressed air being used as pink noise. Seems to me it would be severely lacking in the low frequencies.
In addition, the spectral balance will shift with the pressure and the relief opening.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I think the OP is looking for a physical, rather than a recorded source. The latter would be "colored" by the transducer used to play it and it would have to be calibrated first before he could use it to calibrate his microphone. Circle of confusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an ecm8000. There are generic calibration files out there, but it's an average..

I live on a cliff so I thought outside over the balcony, which is 100 ft up would make a good substitute for an a-chamber if I gated the sample.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Outdoor prob the best option. But we are talking reference mic, the basis of all your treatment. No harm in trying but if anything is off from expectations i dont know what confidence i would have. At night after all the large intl planes and any far off construction is at rest. Just remember these are onmi.

IIRC doesnt parts express sell the same thing private labeled with a unique calibration file or is my memory off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That still leaves a clean source for "natural" pink noise. Even in an a-chamber best transducer is going to color the sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts