Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
To sub_crazy modeling the Axis 12s in WinISD it seems like to have a big enough port to tune them really low and not have port noise you would have serious port resonance issues. If you went with a 2 cu ft box you would need a 6" vent to keep from having port noise over 1500watts, then the port needs to be over 80 inches long to hit a 20hz tune. That puts the first port resonance at 83hz, not to mention there is no way the port would fit in the box, you'd have to run it around the outside, heh.

Given your primary concern is music I would put them in sealed boxes approx 1.5 cu ft. That gives you a fairly gentle slope which in anything other than a very big room would have substantial room gain in the low end. A pair of these in this configuration driven with 1000-2000 watts each would probably rock the house. There is enough excursion that you could EQ the bottom end up a bit if you really wanted to as long as you didn't drive them with max power.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thanks Evil,

Your picture is sweet!

I know they work well in a 2.8 cu ft enclosure with a 18" PR tuned to about 18hz but the box is odd since you have to accommodate the 12" then 18". I did try them out in a 1.4 cf sealed I had in the garage and those little suckers crank with some eq.

I know porting is a bear with these to get a low tune without it whistling.

Thanks for checking this out for me but we are thinking the same thing, at least I got confirmation.

I have a bunch of other drivers to add to the mix for movies. I have a plan for a TC-3000 15" with a pair of TC VMPS 15" in a 6 cf enclosure to nail the low end down for movies. Either that or a pair of Mal-x but the TC PR design will probably be easier to drive and look killer.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Its funny that you say that because I almost mentioned that the Axis 12s seem more like they're designed for high SPL in a car and that you might benefit from tuning them either ported or sealed in a stereo configuration to play bass from 50-120hz and then use something else from 50-0 like a LLT, IB setup or Bandpass box.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts