Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm shocked no one has mentioned what I believe to be the absolute best bang for your buck sub on the market the RSL Speedwoofer 10s. Just Google the Roger's Soundlabs 10s and look at the review after review after review. Sound and Vision says when comparing their reference subs the 12-inch SVS PC-Ultra ($1,199 in 2004) and the 15-inch Hsu Research VTF-15H MK2 ($899), "the pair of these **** near matched the audible and tactile impact of either the Hsu or the SVS when used alone. Were there limitations to what they could do? Sure—the Speedwoofer pair couldn’t go quite as deep as the big boys, especially when playing some organ samples that dip below 20 hertz. But, truthfully, it’s rare to find bass this deep, and given the difference in cost and size between the Speedwoofer and my reference subs, that’s a pretty reasonable trade-off. The price is $399ea or $79for a pair and I'm here to tell you I've owned 7 different subs over the past 5yrs, 3 12" subs, 1 10" sub, 1 dual 10" (dual active driver) sub, one 8" sub and 1 dual 8" (also dual active) sub and the only ones I've kept and refused to sell is the Speedwoofer 10s and the jamo D4 (dual 8s). You probably won't find the jamo for sale anywhere but I'm sure you can order the RSL from just about anywhere. Hope that helped.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,379 Posts
The OP is in India, a place RSL doesn't ship to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I love the alternate suggestions ... especially considering the huge cost differential - since it looks like the Rythmik F12 is shooting well past my budget of $1350...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I will somehow find a way to import into India the best sealed 12" sub (preferably with XLR input)...
The US price point has to be below at or below the Rythmik F12 (that is < US$1000, and my total budget including taxes, customs duties and transportation is about $1400)
Therefore please keep the suggestions coming...

Also I heard that the balanced input is irrelevant as the signal is unbalanced within the amplifier anyways... therefore do I really need a balanced input (although the ones with balanced input do allow me flexibility of placement later - if I have to place it far away from the AV processor and they do look more professional and the studio look is more to my liking than the ones designed to look good for the home)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Why are you stuck on the idea of a sealed sub?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,379 Posts
I will somehow find a way to import into India the best sealed 12" sub (preferably with XLR input)...
If you have a method of importing products that goes around standard distribution channels than RSL does become a viable option. It's a very good subwoofer, especially for the price, so it's one to seriously consider. When they're back in stock, of course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Why are you stuck on the idea of a sealed sub?
I like the sound of sealed subs - especially as the bulk of my listening is music and I'm not an SPL freak.
I do have a locally made ported sub... not too thrilled with the port.
My main speakers are also sealed 3 way active.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,379 Posts
With regards to sound quality the RSL is up there with sealed subwoofers so it might still be worth considering.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I like the sound of sealed subs - especially as the bulk of my listening is music and I'm not an SPL freak.
I do have a locally made ported sub... not too thrilled with the port.
My main speakers are also sealed 3 way active.
Not all ported subs are equal nor do they sound the same. I have an entry level Rythmik LV12-R which is their entry level ported sub and it will go toe to toe in terms of sound quality and bass articulation with any sealed sub in its price class. Its just that tight.

Now if the F12 is out of your price range, go to the L12.

Reactions: willis7469

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Martin Logan 1100x definitely would be a great option but it works out to be about USD 1800 here and my budget was USD 1350 (the price I had negotiated earlier for the Rythmik F12 which now they have increased to USD 1500 and as a result of the unpleasant experience with the local dealer, I have decided not to go for it)

Any other suggestions?

if not..

The Neumann KH750 is USD 1350 and still within my budget and have bought my other 5 Neumann KH310 speakers from the same dealer.

Other than it being a 10" and me not really keen on the biggest SPL...is there any other reason I should not buy this?

My sound treated room is 28 x 10 x 10... Although the listening area is only the middle 6 feet.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Martin Logan 1100x definitely would be a great option but it works out to be about USD 1800 here and my budget was USD 1350 (the price I had negotiated earlier for the Rythmik F12 which now they have increased to USD 1500 and as a result of the unpleasant experience with the local dealer, I have decided not to go for it)

Any other suggestions?

if not..

The Neumann KH750 is USD 1350 and still within my budget and have bought my other 5 Neumann KH310 speakers from the same dealer.

Other than it being a 10" and me not really keen on the biggest SPL...is there any other reason I should not buy this?

My sound treated room is 28 x 10 x 10... Although the listening area is only the middle 6 feet.
Do you have any PSB dealers your way?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts