Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been very good at determining the optimum box size for a given woofer. I used to have a program that would do the calculations but I cant seem to find it (recent computer upgrade)

SO... I have 2 questions
1. can some one direct me to a cheep (>free<) program to figure out the best enclosure size based on a woofer's specifications.

2. Thanks to my daughter and a found screwdriver I need a new woofer for my sub box:hissyfit::rant::wits-end:. Since I am on a tight budget it cant be much.
The box is a sealed 1 cu ft box. It has a 120 watt (4Ω) plate amp.
(could any one tell me if THIS one would work)
I am also not apposed to a used driver...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't fell bad. My golden lab eat a 12" Tannoy when a poppy. And unlike in my case, you might have a future engineer in your hands.

For box/driver modeling you can't go wrong with WinISD.
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

Are you sure the driver is not reparable? Cones can be repaired with papier-mache from behind. And surrounds can be replaced.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't fell bad. My golden lab eat a 12" Tannoy when a poppy. And unlike in my case, you might have a future engineer in your hands.

For box/driver modeling you can't go wrong with WinISD.
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

Are you sure the driver is not reparable? Cones can be repaired with papier-mache from behind. And surrounds can be replaced.
Cone was destroyed, and it would cost more than the driver is worth to have it re-coned. Esther had about 10 minutes with it before i caught her...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the original sub driver? What would be the maximum you would spend on a new driver?
Well this was the driver in it. Dayton DC250-8 10" Classic Woofer (this driver has been a surprisingly good performer) If I cant find some thing better I will just get an other one of these.

the way my budget is ... $50 would be stretching things...

I am looking at this driver from Parts express that they have on Buy out: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-106 I think it is a name brand but due to the buyout price they don't say it.

Of course the box was originally designed for the Dayton TIT280C-4 10" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer The reason I am not using the titanic is because I ran in to a financial snag after I built the box ---and $150 is out of my budget at this time. (still have diapers to buy.....:hissyfit:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm assuming the 120 watt amp has no boost and a hi-pass filter around 20 hz. Yellow is the DC250-8 and orange is the 10" buyout. The buyout has slightly better performance. Both are modeled in 1 cu.ft.

View attachment 22085
Awesome. Thanks.

I do believe the amp has some boost... but cant remember specs (trying to look it up but it appears to be a discontinued item.)
By the way... what program did you use to calculate that??

EDIT:
here is a picture of the amp... if it helps :scratch: I bought it from Parts Express about 10 years ago.
sub amp.JPG

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The amp is a 300-792, it was sold in 1999 as a 120 watt amp. It was later upgraded to a 150 watt amp. The specs say it has 6 db of boost at 30 hz.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-792&ctab=2#Tabs

This was the P.E. web page in 1999:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011211142719/www.partsexpress.com/pe/showprod.cfm?&DID=7&CATID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=505

As before, yellow is the DC250-8, orange is the buyout. The boost has more of an effect on the buyout as it is a 4 ohm sub compared to the DC250-8 which is 8 ohms. Quite an improvement for a $25 sub.

dayton 250.JPG

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you find the info about the amp???? I am very impressed. (do you have a stash of old PE catalogs? - I use to... but got rid of them during my last move.)

unless my wife totally veto's it... I will be buying the buyout sub this week.

G

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know who's sub that is? I guess at $25, it doesn't really matter, but if anyone knows, please speak up. The reviews seem good, but I was wondering if it would work as a car sub.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Does anyone know who's sub that is? I guess at $25, it doesn't really matter, but if anyone knows, please speak up. The reviews seem good, but I was wondering if it would work as a car sub.
P.E. might be able to tell you where it came from. Cabin gain would boost the low end in a car environment. As long as you're not looking fore a SPL monster the sub will handle 80 watts with a hi-pass filter at 20 hz.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Diapers has taken precedent over a new driver this week... but hopefully Parts express will still have some of the buyout sub next week.

ANY-FOR-WHO. Since the placement of the sub in my cabinet is down firing; could any one enlighten me on how to tell if a particular driver can be used down facing with out unwanted cone sag - hence would the buyout sub be fine in this orientation. The DC250-8 never gave me any noticeable problems in that orientation. and it was like that for about 6 years.

So I am sure some of you are wondering how my 2 year old daughter got easy access to the DC250-8... Well I had it on its front side with the amp pointing up in order to clean out the dust in the heat sink. I had to run to the toilet and when I came back Esther had - with the aide of a Philip's screwdriver - nearly ripped half the cone apart. Not even the rubber surround was salvageable. She even ripped the spider and had part of the voice coil unwound. (should of taken pictures before I ripped the magnet off and tossed the basket and cone away.:duh:) I was so shocked i did not even know weather to laugh:rofl: or cry:crying::gah:. I am so glad my family forced me to attend anger management classes years ago. In some way this is my fault because not even a weak ago I cut apart a dead driver to show a curious (NON-audiophile) friend how a speaker worked - of course Esther was watching. Monkey see, monkey do. (my daughter is the girl holding the kitten in my avatar picture)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
word is that those are made by eminence

Eminence!! well that would be awesome. Well hopefully I will finely be able to find out in a few more days. yes I have been going the past few months with out a sub :yikes: But thankfully my mains are able to pickup the slack very well.

I will keep you all informed. (still negotiating with the wife....but I think a compromise has been found:clap:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts