Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I think I've decided to go the DIY route. Seems like I can get better drivers and a smaller footprint sub for a better price than elsewhere. So, a few questions. I have been playing around in Win ISD and Unibox(?), and I really have no idea what most of it means. What does the box frequency mean exactly? I am thinking of going with the AV12-X with dual 15PRs or possibly the shiva-x with 2x15PRs. I would like to power it with a plate amp as I have no room for a stand-alone amp. So, I was considering either the O Audio Bash 500W that has the EQ and SSF or an eD amp (either LT550 or 1300) which has no SSF but their guys claim doesn't matter because of the limits of the amp itself. So, which amp would go best with this setup? Also, I was probably going to go with an 18-20" cube or roughly around there as I have seen suggested on other forums. This would be a primarily HT sub and I want something that can really hit hard pretty low, my previous sub was a HSU STF2 and it was nice but just didn't really hit hard enough for me. My boss has offered to make the box for me since he considers himself a wood-working master and a challenge to his abilities. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could save some cash if you went for a single PR18 instead of 2 PR15's. It would easily fit in a 20" cube.

Beyond that it seems like a pretty awesome plan for a small sub.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John Janowitz had modeled the AV12H and AV12X w/dual 15" PRs in 20" cubes for me over at avsforum and I think that will be the direction I go. I'm not sure what plate amp to go with yet. I like the eD amps but they have zero SSFs, the O-audio apparently has some weird boost at lower frequecies that many don't like with PR or ported subs, and that leaves the PE Dayton HPSA amps, but there is some debate as to whether they really deliver stated power. Another poster on avsforum said he contacted PE about the amp and they told him that the 500 and 1000W are essentially the same inside except for a bias switch. So, I guess I could have one of my EE friends crack it open and remove the switch and get the 500 and mod it up to be the 1000. As for the cabinet, my boss is finishing up some of his wood-working projects and will probably start on this early next year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another poster on avsforum said he contacted PE about the amp and they told him that the 500 and 1000W are essentially the same inside except for a bias switch. So, I guess I could have one of my EE friends crack it open and remove the switch and get the 500 and mod it up to be the 1000.

Have you heard if this is actually true? I am an EE major and am curious about the validity of this statement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts