Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
As you can see this is my first post here.

Over the past 3months I've been planning on making two LLT sonosubs.

The OD will be 500mm and length will be 1500mm. Not sure about the port yet, but I will decide on that when I get there. Still got some thinking to do...

What I cant decide on right now is which driver I should use.
I don't know what most of the technical specs mean. But I don't think I need to know either. Know what xmax and the basic stuff is..

Need a 15'' driver.

Have looked at the Elemental Designs 16Ov.2. Specs looks good from what I can tell, and it's cheap - compared to others. It's got a beautiful design aswell.

Rythmik Audio DS1500. I don't know what they charge for this. Sent an email though. The silver cone looks great.

Creative Sound Solutions SDX15. Specs look great? Cheap.

I had planned to go with Soundsplinter Rl-p15.. But they are out of stock. And won't have any of those for a very long time..

Right now I'm leaning towards either the 16Ov.2, or the CSS SDX15. Just because of the price.
The SDX15 has a little more xmax than the 16Ov.2

Will be powering this with a Behringer EP2500. Should I go for D2 or D4 coils in the drivers?

Please give me some input on this!

rodsprit

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
If you are sticking to that box size, the use the volume calculators on here to see what volume that size enclosure will give you. You can then use this to compare to the Vas of your drivers to get a decent idea of which driver will work well in an enclosure of that size if you really want to be sure of this.

Xmax is only really important if you running simulations of your driver as otherwise its just a case of keep an eye on your creation to make sure its not being over driven.

What are your goals for your sub though, depth, musicality, massive spl? Some drivers may work better than others for what your goals are, which might help when people look at which drivers might work best for you.

I'm building something using a couple of these, might be of interest too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Despite the XBL motor, I never found the distortion readings on the SDX impressive. Although, I've never heard one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to use it for movies, high spl and low tuning. But I also listen to alot of music, so I want the tight and punchy bass aswell..I want both, which is hard to get..?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

Sorry for the double post.. Didn't realize my posts have to be approved..

Been reading alot of threads and decided to go with SDX15. Now I just gotta wait for the next payday :p

Is my design going to be what you call an LLT?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Besides the CCS SDX sub, you should also consider AE AV15X/H subs. Having listened to both subs (I have both drivers), my choice is AE AV15X sub. They are the same price and the AE sub has better SQ, for HT they're dead even (maybe 1db better for the CCS sub in the low bass).

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I would go with thw SDX15 but that is my personal choice.

An accurate high pass filter would be the Reckhorn B2 from CSS.

http://creativesound.ca/details.php?model=B-2
Are there any small stand alone PEQ devices like this one, something you could build into a sub if you wanted, or could use with an existing sub. Ive read a thread recently where someone wanted the ability to prevent the sub from trying to produce low notes it couldnt do very well, to prevent bottoming out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can get my hands on some used AE IB15 drivers for a really cheap price. Do you think these would perform well?

Here is a link to them AE IB15

1 - 15 of 15 Posts