Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have downloaded REW in my MAC. I am excited to run some tests but don't know where to start.

Equipments I own:
1. MiniDSP mic, calibration file was downloaded.
2. A surround sound processor.
3. Full range large L/R speakers, center, 2 subs.

I would like to calibrate a 3.1 system, but I am not sure where to start.:huh:
I read many threads in this forum and here is my final plan and I hope you can give me some advices.:laugh2:
Step 1. I set the speaker distance in AVR, then I measure the impulse response of all speakers with ascoustic timing reference setting, compare the results and make adjustment in Speaker Distance Setup menu to make them aligned, then I do the second measurement to see the improvement.
Step 2. By playing pink noise test tone provided by AVR and using the SPL meter provided by REW, I adjust speaker level of all speakers to 75dB .
Step 3. I set the target curve by using the default curve provided by REW or importing a Home Curve designed by myself.
Step 4. I adjust EQ by using the EQ window provided by REW, make the predicted curve to match the target curve. Then I input the result filter parameter into the PEQ setup of AVR, then I do the second measurement to see the improvement.

Am I correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s basically correct. Are you wanting EQ the whole system or just the subwoofers?

Regards,
Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your reply and I want to EQ the whole system.

So I ran the tests today and encountered some questions today.
1. I don't have an external soundcard so REW recognize my system as a 2.0 system. When I was measuring the center and subwoofer, the sweep signal didn't contain that reference sound. Do I have to buy a external soundcard?

2. Here is the introduction of the speaker distance setting of my reciever:
The menu provides a line for each speaker configured in your system and gives a range of settings up to 33 feet (10.6 meters) in 0.25 foot (0.075 m) increments with each increment equivalent to an additional delay of 0.25 ms.
I find it strange because my goal is to make sure the sound from speakers arrive at the same time.
So without setting the speaker distance, I run test and get the impulse response plot, then I can find out the difference among my speaker and input the delay time directly. Is it correct?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
I’m surprised that a receiver with menu settings for adjusting speaker delay won’t set them automatically.

When I was measuring the center and subwoofer, the sweep signal didn't contain that reference sound.
I don’t know what that means, the “reference signal.”

If you’re interested in setting distances via REW, it will require a soundcard, and I’m pretty sure the mic will have to be connected to the soundcard. So, you won’t be able to use your UMIK for this. The good news is, any mic you plug into the sound card will work for impulse response, so the cheapest omnidirectional condenser mic you can find will work.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m surprised that a receiver with menu settings for adjusting speaker delay won’t set them automatically.

I don’t know what that means, the “reference signal.”

If you’re interested in setting distances via REW, it will require a soundcard, and I’m pretty sure the mic will have to be connected to the soundcard. So, you won’t be able to use your UMIK for this. The good news is, any mic you plug into the sound card will work for impulse response, so the cheapest omnidirectional condenser mic you can find will work.

Regards,
Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Sorry for my late reply.
I did a little research in the past few days and found out many receivers are with auto calibration feature now, now I can understand why you are surprised. Anyway, I don't want to throw my out-of-date receiver away, just keep trying to work this whole thing out. Thank you for your time, I hope that I can come back with a refine data in the near future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts