Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amplifier measurement that determine amplifier quality
We all know RMS power capacity, dynamic power capacity, frequency response, current capacity, output impedence and distortion are important measures.

What else is important in an amplifier. How can we tell an amplifier is of high quality based on hard engineering measurements.

I know that auditioning is needed to detect finer points of amplifier design. But here I am looking for things that can be objectively measured.

What can we measure in NAD and Parasound that is not available in Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo.

·
1,662 Posts
What else is important in an amplifier.
Price
Looks
Street cred/bragging rights/pride of ownership
Cognizance it's part of a system, including loudspeakers
Your preferences

I know that auditioning is needed to detect finer points of amplifier design.
Not for all of us, but if that floats your boat, please correctly state it as "experiencing", since your eyes will be open and for humans, that has consequences.

But here I am looking for things that can be objectively measured.
You mentioned most, then there's low level linearity, PowerCube performance, etc.
However, your subjective preference is not objectively measured and in the end, that's all that matters in these discussions.

What can we measure in NAD and Parasound that is not available in Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo.
The brand names with our eyes.

Your amp options for the LS50s will depend in some part on objective measures and some part on you. Price range? How loud do you listen? What dynamic range music? What size room? Black or Silver? Small or large?

cheers,

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a pair of the LS50's. I used my Quicksilver Mid Mono's (40watts), sounds great, I've used my Vincent Sp331MK (150watts per) sounds great, I've used my Pass Labs 30.5 sounds great. My room 14x12x10. I don't play my music are loud levels 70-85db is about it for my taste for average listening. Jazz, smooth jazz, classic rock, blues, some classical. Source Apollo R, or Micro Seki BL91, or a Teac UD501 dac.

Get a pair in your home and listen.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Given the LS50's amp requirements are 25-100watts and their frequency response is only 79Hz - 28kHz. Your not going to need alot of power. Are you looking for something warm sounding? Look at getting a nice tube amp. If you want traditional power the options are endless. Emotiva, Yamaha Samson, QSC, and the list goes on.
The Emotiva XPA 200 would be a very nice choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given the LS50's amp requirements are 25-100watts and their frequency response is only 79Hz - 28kHz. Your not going to need alot of power. Are you looking for something warm sounding? Look at getting a nice tube amp. If you want traditional power the options are endless. Emotiva, Yamaha Samson, QSC, and the list goes on.
The Emotiva XPA 200 would be a very nice choice.
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V800 HT amp with stated power of 100 wpc with very low distortion and very flat frequency response. I don't know if I should change. My deer says that LS50 are demanding speakers and should be paired with 1500+ amps. All reviews also say the same thing. Let me know how I decide if I should change and if yes will Emotiva xa 200 be good upgrade.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V800 HT amp with stated power of 100 wpc with very low distortion and very flat frequency response. I don't know if I should change
In my opinion it would do just fin with those speakers. Im asuming your going to use a sub with these?
My dealer says that LS50 are demanding speakers and should be paired with 1500+ amps. All reviews also say the same thing. Let me know how I decide if I should change and if yes will Emotiva xa 200 be good upgrade.
Hogwash! Its obvious he wants you to buy something he sells. The LS50s are 85db efficient at 8ohms (dips down to 5ohms) and they will sing with a 150watt per channel amp like the Emotiva. No need to get more power than that, they are not large floorstanders.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am currently using my Yamaha with LS50. They sound fine. But of course I don't know if bass will be even better with a parasound A23 or Emotiva or Krell. I do not have a sub yet. But selecting that is another topic that requires some discussion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The LS50 have no mid and no bass, buy a tower instead because the money on the amp will be wasted with the LS50.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The LS50 have no mid and no bass, buy a tower instead because the money on the amp will be wasted with the LS50.
I use mine with a Rythmik F12se and it works great. It really depends on where you use your speakers. I have towers but in my small area the kefs and the sub work great and sound great.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have spent close to a month with LS50. What I see is extraordinary clarity and uniformity. So far I have not used a sub but it sound good. I am afraid that if the sub is not of good quality and is not matched well in volume and phase, it will take away from incredible clarity, imaging and uniformity.

For the first few weeks I was wondering what was all the fuss about in all magazine reviews. But after 30 days, I now see why all the magazine were raving about it. For casual listener, who is looking for bright peaks, extraordinary amount of bass or deep low end, it will disappoint. But if you are a long term listener, especially listening to jazz and vocals, the clarity and uniformity will amaze you.

We can say that it excels in quality at the expense of quantity (of bass or sound level).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've heard the LS-50's w/a Prima Luna Prologue Premium Integrated and found it to be a great match. Unlike solid state you can change flavors. The Premium takes a wide variety of tubes. You can use EL-34's, KT-88's or KT-120's. :T

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a new ls50 and am also looking to purchase an amp. I have one used available herefrom a private party and wanted to see if anyone has used it with LS50. The amp is Yamaha M-70.

Also if someone has some pointers on how to check it out before purchase, love to hear that as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
FWIW,

My brother has the white ls50 and he uses a denon X4000 with an Emotiva UPA - 200 (Only b/c it's the only amp that would fit in his cabinet) with a REL T5 sub in a room 34x38 with a 22' ceiling and that thing cranks! Completely blown away! Those speakers are labeled as nearfield monitors but we were standing 25' back and they sounded amazing. I was not expecting them to fill the room but all I can say is WOW! Simply impressive!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks jb. I have heard a few people praise rel t5. Although it is only 8 inch driver with 125 watts, it somehow produces very musical low end. Can someone explain why?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't explain it - I am dumbfounded! The T5 is this tiny little cube but it fills his room just right for music. Speaking of music it is extremely musical as all Rel subs are. They are not a subwoofer as a dealer tried explaining to me - they are a sub speaker they connect directly to the binding posts and play the same signal as your speakers get and just carry the signal down below where your speakers can't play so it is pretty much seamless. Not sure on how they do it, all I know is it sounds outstanding for what it is and the size it is!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thanks jb. I have heard a few people praise rel t5. Although it is only 8 inch driver with 125 watts, it somehow produces very musical low end. Can someone explain why?
Here's a mainstream review that does a good job.

I have a T-9 in a smallish ~10x13 home theater setup. Incredible impact and realism for movies. Proper positioning really does get the room pressurized instead of just full-of-bass. You can actually feel a movie explosion hit you in the chest. The T-Rex from Jurassic Park? Yup, feel its footsteps through the concrete slab that is my floor. The T-9 is not in my main music-listening system, but I do play music videos and the occasional CD/SACD.

Integrating the sub correctly is not as easy as the (somewhat) vague instructions in the user manual would have you believe. If you do it by ear, use a variety of test and demo material for setup, and take your time with lots of breaks to avoid listener fatigue. If you have the equipment and experience, then integrate it using acoustic measurement software such as REW and room correction such as Dirac Live.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
They are not a subwoofer as a dealer tried explaining to me - they are a sub speaker they connect directly to the binding posts and play the same signal as your speakers
I think this explains it about as best you can get. REL is a "musical sub" it is not good for anything but that. Even the T-9 only goes down to 28Hz and thats already down -6db according to the specification sheet.
If you use them for home theater be warned that are missing out on alot of the real impact of the soundtrack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts