Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first sonotube project so I would appreciate any help! I have the 24" sonotube and have a Peavey low rider 18" sub I would like to use. Bought a Precision 6" flared port. Peavey recommends for a large cabinet being 255L tuned to 30hz. When input all the info in the sonotube software I came out with a sonotube 3' 1 3/8" cut length tube with a 9" port. Total height came to 3' 8 1/8. Port tuning came too 1365hz? Seems short compared to other 18" tubes? Peavey website recommends two 6" ports 12" long for a cabinet space of 255L tuned to 30hz? Why the differance? Which should I use?
Do I need to build a brace for the port? Think combo will work good for a home theatre sub? Any help will be appreciated.:help:.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The reason it's shorter then others is the higher tuning.
Did you read the other sonotubes threads? Should give you a firm start.
Happy building!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Welcome to the Home Theater Shack, glad to have you with us!

The Low Rider 18" is a Pro Audio driver and Peavey's recommended box size and tuning frequency is for DJ use where there's not much happening below 30 hz. HT on the other hand goes down to 20 hz and below so a HT driver designed for this application is what you need.

Here's a comparison SPL graph to show you the difference. The Low rider can handle 500 watts with a hi-pass filter a 27 hz and the SPL really starts to drop below 30 hz.
The Mach 5 Audio UXL-18 can handle 1500 watts with no hi-pass filter and SPL is steady down to 15 hz. The 15 hz to 30 hz range is where HT low frequency content is and the Peavey is lacking in this range.

peavy.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input on this subject so far. I know it's not the best sub HT use out there but it is what I have and being on a budget it's what I got to use. What I don't understand using the software on this site compared to the sonotube software I'm coming up with 4 1/2 in. in height differance? Sonotube being38 3/4 inches and the EVC software comes to 51" for 255L? Which to use? Hmmmmm?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Half way down on the left side of sonosub.exe it states the gross volume. Subtract 1.5" from your "Cut Sonotube To" number. Enter the adjusted "Cut Sonotube To" number and tube diameter into EVC. The gross volume numbers will match.

Since you have to use the Peavey it can be modeled to give more low end output for HT if you can deal with a large tube size. What would be the maximum 24" diameter tube height you would be comfortable with?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike that looks alot better! Thank you! I believe thats what I'm going to do. Probadly need to put a brace in for those ports so might take a little away from it. The Peavey sub has been mounted in a down firing coffee table with a enclosure of 3'x3'x 14". Hits real mean but not alot of low end. Wife says coffee table has got to go so sonotube is where it's heading! Hope I get a little more bottom end. Started cutting the end pieces today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anybody got a idea what would be a good filler to get the spiral indentation smooth on the outside of the sonotube?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Anybody got a idea what would be a good filler to get the spiral indentation smooth on the outside of the sonotube?
A lot of sonotube projects I've seen just skip the whole fill, prime, paint scene altogether and just wrap the whole cylinder with carpet. That seems like much less work than trying to smooth out that spiral seam, but if painted is what you are going for, that will look really cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wrapping it in wood looking vinyl from parts express. Got a few wringles in it. Still don't look too bad. Just got the port vent to put in and glue the bottom on and do some testing. I got some peel and stick sound foam from 3m that I'm thinking about covering the insides with? Once you put it on your not getting it off! I have heard of people putting spray on rubber on the inside but it's not needed. If it's not going to help I'll skip it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts