Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony HT-CT150 subwoofer/soundbar connected to a Proscan PLEDV2031A TV. The only audio out on the TV is digital coax or an analog headphone jack. I have it connected via the digital coax. Sound quality is very good but it's just not loud enough on a lot of programs. I do suffer from hearing loss, however I know the Sony is capable of sufficient sound output because some programs output with way more volume than I need.

I am looking for a way to boost or process the audio signal between the TV and amp. I tried a DAC with preamp (Fosi Audio Q5) to convert the digital coax audio to analog and connect to the analog inputs of the amp - sound quality was still good but the volume was even lower so I returned the DAC. I also tried connecting the headphone out from the TV to the analog input on the amp. This resulted in tinny sound and no gain in volume.

Does anyone know how to boost the digital signal so I can get more volume?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
What you need is a DAC-preamp with more voltage gain on the analog outputs that the Fosi Audio Q5. Fosi does not specify what their gain is so I cannot say what you need except "more." I doubt that a digital gain will do the job.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
We don't know what the gain or the output of the Fosi is and Sony doesn't state what the input sensitivity of the soundbar is. We are working blind without any data.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That is how it is sometimes. No data. In fact, that happens a lot. So what DAC preamp has the highest output you know of? At this point you can just say "I don't know".

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't know because I've used only a few and never needed to pay attention to that parameter. They were all more than adequate for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found one I'm going to try that has a 7.5 volt maximum output. Will report back if it does the job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts