Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says, im looking for a way to get my in ceiling surround speakers to sound better and i wondered if anybody knew of any universal type enclosures i could put up in my ceiling to make them sound better. or could i just cut a strip of some insulation and throw it over top of them, i dont know?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I'll bet those would do the trick if some dampining material was added to them so they sound solid, good find.:T

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Never thought about the bucket idea. Would they resonate, even with damping material? A simple MDF box would work also, but the one at PE is not too expensive and made of steel. Nice to have options.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
If it were me and using any of the ideas i would use some sort of Dynamat type material that should tame crazy sounds the enclosure might add. The MDF box i would leave be as it probly won't effect the sound like using metal or plastic may.:T

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
^^^ Agreed! I use Dynamat on all our cars (doors, floorboard, trunk bottom-lid-sides, etc.), really helps a lot with metal surfaces. Great material!!!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
So a question on the bucket, how do you seal it since there are no flanges to screw down? Do you just use silicon caulking (that can create a pretty strong bond, but I wonder how it will hold with the extreme temperature changes that can occur in some attics - I know that our attic here in Albuquerque will hit over 150F in the summer and below freezing in the winter).

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I'll have to keep the bucket idea in mind for future installs, seems like a great idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the metal ones from PE i think will do me fine, i didnt think about the dynomat so ill probably get some of that as well. i cant use a bucket (5gal) because of space issues. does the dynomat reflect sound or absorb it or what? reduce vibrations? im asking because the speakers are approx 10-15 ft away from my furnace and im hoping to reduce/remove any of that noise from getting into my speakers. ive got a hard ceiling in my basement and ive got lots of "noise" bouncing around where all that space is between the floor joists.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Dynamat will reduce resonances and deaden the enclosure and should also tame any sounds from entering or exiting the enclosure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts