Ok, been a lurker around the boards for years. 5 years ago I was just about to pull the trigger on dual tempest (sbb4 design) but a few things came up (another kid, new house, etc....) I ended up getting a SVS pcplus 20-39. Love the thing and even upgraded the driver within the last 6 months. Old driver blew because I pretty much run it at it's limit and I have no control. The SVS is in the HT room in the basement.
Well, I've decided I need a sub for upstairs and I've decided to try the DIY approach.
Below are some of my constraints or as I like to call them, project challenges.
1. cheap ~ $250 or less on parts not including enclosure. This is a 'trial' for me to see if I like diy subs/speakers and/or the results. If everythings goes well, which i believe it will, I plan on making dual subs to replace the SVS. With a whole new set of constraints er uh i mean, project challenges, but waaaay more budget and size
2. 100% music only - country, teen pop, whatever else the wife and kids listen to. Since this is 100% music only I'm guessing I can tune this much higher then is normally done around here. 25hz? 30hz? I'm guessing 35hz is too high?
3. room is open to the entire house - 4500 sqft house sooo like i said the room is 'open'- that being the case I'm trying to squeeze the most performance out I can. I have no 'issues' doing a ported design. It'll just make more mdf dust.
4. limited floor space - i figure i can do a 16 inch sonosub - but in this case i think it'll be sacrete(sp?) because rule #1 (cheap) says I can get a 4 foot tube at Home Depot for around $10. That gives what? minus driver, port, double thick MDF on the end.... around 4 ft^3?
5. I'm pretty handy. I have all the tools but, will have to get a circle jig. So now I have an excuse to get a circle jig.
Now, i've been keeping an eye open for sales and found PE is having one now.
PE 300-804 240watt plate amp for $99 (no boost)
PE 295-464 Dayton 12" reference HF subwoofer for $119
PE 091-1245 Dayton BPA-38G HD Binding Post Pair Gold $6
throw in shipping at we're at my limit.
ok, now's here the part where I rapid fire the noob questions. stay with me please.
Any other hardware suggestions I should look at? maybe the PE 15" DVC? I could squeeze that into at 16" tube. I realize my budget is extremely limiting.
Although thinner then sonotube that sacrete tube still seems pretty tough. Has anyone used that before or tried and failed? I guess I could be that person it is only $10
If the consenses is the two above PE parts (on sale) I'll definatley need some modeling help. For some odd reason way back when I could use winisd and understand what it was telling me (at least I thought I understood) Now I can plug the numbers in but dont' see much difference when i compare different drivers. In any case I would appreciate it if someone could run the numbers to make sure group delay isn't bad or port velocity isn't too high or if I have enough power, what you think woudl be the best tuning, 25, 30,35? etc... in a nutshell, what would you do if you were me.
questions about the amp. does it have a built in subsonic filter? is it adjustable (changing resistors)? since this will be at a higher tune and ported I'm looking for some type of safe guard (no, i have no self control, I've already established that) Also, this is going on a receiver with no sub out so I'll have to use high level inputs. Is that going to cause any issues?
Oh, the speakers they'll be matched with are garbage. If the sub turns out good I plan on doing some speakers next.
Ok, I see I have rambled on way to much. I'm just trying to provide as much information as possible. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'll be posting this on several different boards so you only have to respond in your favorite.
ps. sorry, no cliff notes
mods, if I've broken any forum rules or mentioned something I shouldn't or offended anyone, it was not intentional. Seems like you can't swing a dead cat without breaking a rule or offending someone any more.