Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for 15" driver recommendations for a sealed subwoofer for total cost under $500 + $399 EP 2000

The total volume is ~4cuft for my subwoofer

Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
There's not a massive difference in terms off spl between the Q15 and the LMS driver. The LMS driver is probably the better driver in terms off spec and how it performs overall. The Q15 driver would only need a 2 cu ft box where as the LMS would need a 3-4 cu ft box. The other option would be a Q18 which would need a 6 cu ft box but would have more spl than the pair off them. The LMS is based on 1500 watts input power and the FI's are 2000 watts.

The other option would be the Mach Audio UXL-18 which only needs a 3 cu ft box.

Does the $500 for the driver and amp or driver alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's not a massive difference in terms off spl between the Q15 and the LMS driver. The LMS driver is probably the better driver in terms off spec and how it performs overall. The Q15 driver would only need a 2 cu ft box where as the LMS would need a 3-4 cu ft box. The other option would be a Q18 which would need a 6 cu ft box but would have more spl than the pair off them. The LMS is based on 1500 watts input power and the FI's are 2000 watts.

The other option would be the Mach Audio UXL-18 which only needs a 3 cu ft box.

Does the $500 for the driver and amp or driver alone.
Well I would want to build the complete Sub within $750 range.. ( I have bit wood working skills and necessary tools )

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
With 2000 watts input power the amplifier load is only 1150 watts at 20hz and it drops from there on. At 10hz it is around 1600 watts but most movies and 99.9% off music don't drop below 20hz so it wouldn't worry me at all and that driver would handle more than 1200 watts. Excursion is not a problem and the only way it would cause a problem is if you was running sine waves at full volume which you wouldn't do.

The other option would be a 6 cu ft ported (I know the OP mentioned sealed and 4 cu ft but he may not have thought off other options) tuned to 19hz which would match the spl of the sealed sub down to 12hz. Amplifier load would be 1200watts with 2000 watts input power.

Back when the Malx drivers were around many people were bridging an EP4000 or EP2500 into 4 ohms without any issues. There's even been people running the same amp bridged to the mach audio IXL and that is only rated at 1000 watts.

Just my two cence.

·
Registered
344 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts