Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a SVS PB 2000, had no driver sound after doing the standard 9v battery bump with no success, on year 4 of 5 year warranty and have just received my replacement and all is good.

Now I'm thinking let's take a look at this thing, turns out it was just a loose connection between the terminal on the driver and the driver itself.

So I think my plan is to get a duplicate replacement amp and then another enclosure so I can then have a dual setup 馃榿.

So my question is which enclosure should I get for this little project or am I better off to maybe build one?

Registered
The only proper way to do this would be to find a cabinet that has the SAME INTERNAL VOLUME as the PB2000. With bracing and an amplifier mounting area. The dimensions of the second box can be different than the SVS dimensions. What is important is the internal volume, porting diameters and length of ports inside the box will be

Registered
So I have a SVS PB 2000, had no driver sound after doing the standard 9v battery bump with no success, on year 4 of 5 year warranty and have just received my replacement and all is good.

Now I'm thinking let's take a look at this thing, turns out it was just a loose connection between the terminal on the driver and the driver itself.

So I think my plan is to get a duplicate replacement amp and then another enclosure so I can then have a dual setup 馃榿.

So my question is which enclosure should I get for this little project or am I better off to maybe build one?
First see if you can find a Cheap enclosure in a goodwill or maybe even on Ebay .......https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rms12/

Attachments

Registered
I had similar situation (but with SB13 Ultra - basically same as SB4000 ?). First I had a bad driver on delivery (part of the thick outer suspension was not glued properly to the metal basket and it made farting sounds as ait could escape this way. I got new driver. Fixed old one with super goop or some other high quality rubber/metal glue. Then I had thunderstorm in my area and amp failed. Got new one, and I was able to fix old one (this one I have paid but with HEAVY discount - Glorious SVS customer case, no seriously - the best in the industry.

So having both amp and driver - I was in the same conundrum as you.

I decided to measure my old sub and build my own enclosure. I made it slightly more braced and kept same internal volume (slightly larger dimensions to compensate for extra bracing).

I have ordered all pieces in my local woodshop (made from thick MDF). Front baffle I made double (two MDF boards glued together).
Then just glued everything in my gym ;], added few screws..... and it sounds amazing - like original or even better. I still need to put some wood putty on screw holes, some uneven ridges, sand it, and paint it. But currently it's already in use and it's awesome.

ps. it came significantly heavier that original and it sounds better to me. Sure measurements don't show real difference between this one and original - but this is hard to measure as room plays huge role. And I'm not going to play with open field measurements X meters from the ground etc etc....

Camera accessory Audio equipment Cookware and bakeware Carbon Gas
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Computer hardware
Wood Rectangle Gas Hardwood Plywood
Automotive design Wood Flooring Gas Machine
Gas Bumper Scientific instrument Microscope Camera accessory
Brown Packing materials Wood Rectangle Shipping box
Wood Floor Automotive tire Automotive design Audio equipment
Automotive design Automotive tire Wood Gas Sculpture
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring

1 - 5 of 5 Posts