Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets!
Brand new forum member on a quest to build a subwoofer for my Honda Silverwing.
I have seen 12" long subs with 1" diameter, also 5" length with 3" diameter. I have not heard either of these products. I would like to build a custom unit, but I have never built a speaker of any king, so any and all of your advice and help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thirty years ago, I had a 21" Electrovoice sub powered by a Harley panhead. I got nearly 100 dBs per gallon, and the rubber mounts kept the vibration to a minimum. When I switched from kickstart to electrostart, I noticed an annoying drop in output. I'm thinking that I was picking up field generated alternator interference in the amp. Then I switched over to a belt drive electromagnet rotor for the sub, driven off the rear wheel without the tire. I was able to get some awesome subsonics in high gear! Finally, I tuned the sub by increasing the tension on the spokes by ten pounds.

I'm now thinking about driving the sub directly off the chain drive sprocket. My only concern is how to keep the chain lube viscous enough not to spit on the sub cone. So far, I think it will only operate at tempera:yay:tures below 12C.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts