Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My first post here, coming from AVS where I was convinced SF was the way to go. . . until I found you guys. :)

The room: I'll post pictures once my post count is up. 18'9" wide by 15'8" deep with a vaulted ceiling. The ceiling peaks in the center, rising from the sides. I have a dark brownish flat paint to apply at a later date and the room is completely light controlled. Dark grey acoustic panels also help with reflections. Light carpet, but I have a huge area rug, very dark in color, for the floor under the screen.

The projector: JVC RS-45 mounted almost dead center horizontally to the screen area and a little below the top edge, zoomed all the way in for an approximately 137" 16:9 diagonal screen.

The screen: I sanded the wall, applied a skim coat, sanded again, primed with Kilz, sanded again, and applied another coat of Kilz. Will sand again and apply one more Kilz coat. Right now, it is quite smooth and should be near perfect after the next coat.

The picture looks great, bright and crisp, with the lens aperature closed all the way down. Blacks and contrast are good but will obviously get much better as this progresses. I'm trying to get as much brightness as possible to allow wiggle room as the lamp ages (48 hours on bulb).

Thank you in advance for any and all advice provided :T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Welcome to HTS awake33! :wave:

I assume your PJ is mounted about 14 feet from the screen. With a size of 137" that would give you between 14 fc and 16.5 fc of image brightness depending on the mode you are using. Using the low lamp setting (JVC calls it "normal" mode) you lose about 35% which drops brightness down to 9.1 fc to 10.725 fc. At these levels you would want to stay with either a white OTS (off the shelf) latex paint or perhaps our Cream&Sugar™ Ultra mix which provides a very light gray screen with a peak gain of 1.0.

While the Kilz2 primer may give you a nice image now, it WILL shift toward green as it ages so it must be covered with a paint designed as a final top coat.

What brands of paint are available to you, or which brands do you prefer to use?

Glad you found us before you fell into the SF trap. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply Harpmaker.

Pretty much any paint is available here nearby in WA. I have no preference, only whatever would be the best choice for brightness.
I'm surprised that it would only be 9~ fl in normal mode. Is Kilz brighter than the topcoating will be? It's VERY bright; outdoor scenes look like daytime. A nearly completely white scene from The Matrix Revolutions showing the control room was blinding, and it is in normal mode with the iris fully closed.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thank you for the reply Harpmaker.

Pretty much any paint is available here nearby in WA. I have no preference, only whatever would be the best choice for brightness.
For maximum image brightness while maintaining a wide viewing cone just about any "ultra white" flat latex paint will do. If you want the most neutral white (most ultra whites are a bit yellow-red, but it's easily correctable via PJ settings) I would recommend Glidden Premium GL-9000 (not 9011 or 9013). This paint is only minimally darker than other "ultra whites", in fact it would take a spectrophotometer or colorimeter to detect the difference.

If you don't need a very large viewing cone you could add a small amount of gain to the paint by using either the new Valspar Ultra Premium interior Super Flat Finish (which has more gloss than regular flat) or Valspar Ultra Premium in eggshell finish. Both of these paints are sold at Lowe's.

I'm surprised that it would only be 9~ fl in normal mode.
I got the lumen numbers from here and then simply divided them by the square feet of surface area in your screen (55.37). I then reduced those figures by 35% to get the lower set of brightness values. :huh:

Is Kilz brighter than the topcoating will be? It's VERY bright; outdoor scenes look like daytime. A nearly completely white scene from The Matrix Revolutions showing the control room was blinding, and it is in normal mode with the iris fully closed.
No, the Kilz2 samples we have measured have been ~N9.3 while most ultra white paints are ~N9.7. If you used Kilz Premium then there wouldn't be much of a difference, but I would still cover the primer. Paint and Primer are not the same chemically and don't do the same job. Primer is designed hide the underlying surface and to stick to the item coated better than latex paint and to provide a sticky surface for regular latex paint to stick to. Latex paint is designed to be colorfast (to a point :whistling:) and to harden to a durable surface (also to a point). This is why I say to be wary of paint that claims to be "primer and paint in one". That really isn't true, what most mean by that phrase is to say that two coats of it will equal the hiding power of one coat of primer and one coat of latex. It really is just a sales gimmick. Unfortunately many brands are advertising such... I hate marketing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey there! There's some Glidden Professional stores up in your neck of the woods. The Glidden Diamond 450 base paint in Velvet Matte makes an outstanding white screen if you're looking to maximize brightness. Check out the measurements I took in the "Time to repaint my screen" thread.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh my my ...another one :)
I promise I didnt bring them all with me.

Killz definitely throws a nice image and makes you want to keep it. I'd pick up a light meter if you are really wanting to know how much output your PJ has. Best $15 so far spent on the HT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to all who chimed in here :)

Looks like I'll be going with Valspar for the small gain and the fact it's at Lowes right down the street. I beleive you are talking about an untinted white base, hopefully they will sell it to me. I recently purchased some Valspar there for another room and was told they are not allowed to sell it untinted. Wierd.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thank you to all who chimed in here :)

Looks like I'll be going with Valspar for the small gain and the fact it's at Lowes right down the street. I beleive you are talking about an untinted white base, hopefully they will sell it to me. I recently purchased some Valspar there for another room and was told they are not allowed to sell it untinted. Wierd.
The paint you want, I believe, is the Valspar Ultra Premium interior Super Flat Finish paint. This is the paint that used to be called Valspar Ultra Premium interior Enamel flat finish. Even thought the name has changed to Super Flat Finish, and the term 'enamel' dropped, it still has more sheen/gloss than their regular flat interior latex. It's a strange world...

Also, the color you want DOESN'T have to be tinted, it is simply called 'Flat Ultra White' and is #213482 for a quart. The bases they say must be tinted go by number - Base 1, Base 2 and Base 4 (there is no Base 3). Each of these cans contains less and less paint as the base number increases which allows for more tint to be added to the can to make darker and darker paints. There is also less Titanium Dioxide (the compound that makes white paint white) as the base number increases.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.