Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed on here - I've read dozens of threads already on multiple sites - but I still can't decide. I am down to three options for subs:

2x MJ-18M - $310 delivered OR
2x eD 160v.2 D4 - $285 delivered OR
2x SDX-15 - $520 delivered

No amp yet - planning on EP2500 - most abundant/most power per dollar
No Eq yet - plannig on Reckhorn B-1, eD eQ.2, or BFD 1149p (?)

- 50% HT use and 50% music (I listen to everything, but country)
- UP TO 28 total cu ft available for box - position is fixed under TV (I know this is not optimal, but it is what it is)
- Room is 16 X 25 X 8
- Shooting for 16-19 hz tune on an EBS box

*MJ-18M = high sensitivity - cheap - low (15) xmax - probably best for music

*eD 160v.2 = cheapest - modest (21) xmax - looks best - unsure of parameters and quality.

*SDX-15 = most expensive - high (30) xmax - best model of subs

Is the extra money worth it for the SDX for MY application - I know for straight HT use it would be, but with an upper teens tune, I'm not sure I'm really going to get my moneys worth? Any suggestions? :help:

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
I agree with Mike. Even with a low teens tune you are looking at a pretty deep application where the extra xmax will be usable. Also, the better motor structure should mean less distortion, especially at higher levels. If the price is ok, then they are the way to go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What was your budget again? If it's high enough, the Maelstom-X (two of 'em), due to it's superior amount of Vd, get's my vote. ;-)

Otherwise I've had good luck with my SDX's. But keep in mind, the Tempest-X sub's are pretty cheap.

OT: Can you go IB (infinite baffle)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Budget is not a huge concern - of course I don't want to waste money on something I can't really use or will only use a few times a year. I was hoping to stay under $700, but if I went a little over it is not the end of the world. I am just looking for something that gives me the best 'bass for the buck' and something that works as good as possible for music AND HT. Most people on here are making a system that is designed for HT 90% of the time, I will be about 50% and there is not alot of music that has consistant sub 20Hz sounds.

I don't care for infinite baffle systems - they require multiple subs, large amounts of power, and alot of space. I don't need that type of setup.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts