Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second post and want to say how wonderful it is to have people, like minded, helping others in their learning curve of working with REW. You folks are the greatest, and I know that this thread will not only help my challenges but others that are faceing problems.

I have a older Dell Inapiron laptop with M-AUDIO PRE USB and a Behringer ECM 8000 mic.
I had problems at first in getting the REW to calibrate because the
M-Audio Pre has a program in the Control Panel that needed to be set
with a higher volume level. After I worked with the settings I could get a Calibration with out the helps letting me know that the levels we to low.

1. Calibration Graphs:
As you will see from the below measure graph. I think I may need to tweek the volume or when I make a measurement change level db setting.

REW Mesure setting and Pre USB setting:

I have the REW Mesure setting at (Level db FS) setting at -3.0 and my Pre USB presentely has a
Volume set a +7 and USB Record Device Output of -2 and Direct Monitor muted.
The settings in the Laptop sound card are as suggested in the training threads, where the speaker and wave are the only ones not muted.

My goal is to use the MC 8000 mic to measure rooms, our church sanctuary, our multi use building where a full length basketball court has sound.

I have a long way to go but feel confident with your help that , we will get there.

Interpretation of the responses. and EQ ing a room is just around the corner.

Thanks in advance.
George

Read more: Rew is a great product..I love it - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/27722-rew-great-product-i-love.html#ixzz0kcHZaXOa

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Hi George! I'm confident you can get it to work with our help too!
Right now I can't tell if it's good or not, so...
A few things are unclear:
You say you have the ECM, but you don't mention if you also have an SPL meter. If not that's OK, you just won't be able to tell at exactly what SPL your set to. When we take sweeps, we don't care about the absolute SPL so much as how the SPL varies over frequency, that is why it's ok if you don't have the SPL meter...

Please make the following changes to the measured sweep and the repost it:
Change frequency axis to LOG mode.
Change frequency axis range to 10Hz-20kHz
Change dB axis range to +45dB - +105dB.
Click the button to display the soundcard cal on the same plot as the measurement sweep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Greg,

I have thought the 45-105 was in there and it is.

I show sound card box in fine adj. to be grayed out. (can not change)

The Freq Axis seems the same eather way. How does one see the change.
My curcor moves but both look are about the same.

I am not useing the Mic in this app just cal the Pre USB.

I will send another mesure

What should the x y be, or is that app.

George

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I have thought the 45-105 was in there and it is.
Worked better for that last graph.
I show sound card box in fine adj. to be grayed out. (can not change)
That probably means you don't have a soundcard file loaded. Got to Settings->Soundcard->Browse and see if you can find it. If not, you may not have told REW to create or save it after the scan was run. You need this before you can continue.
The Freq Axis seems the same eather way. How does one see the change.
In LIN mode, the vertical graph lines will be evenly spaced. In LOG mode, they will get closer together as you go to the right, to a point, then after 9 or so the space will get larger for 1, then start getting closer again. Change the mode by clicking the "freq axis" button. Change the range by using the "graph limits" button.
I am not useing the Mic in this app just cal the Pre USB.
OK.
I will send another mesure
This latest attachment is almost certainly not from a properly calibrated soundcard.
What should the x y be, or is that app.
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg,
I just got off the phone with M-AUDIO and found out that my OS, Windows XP Media Center Edition is not Compatable with M-AUDIO MOBLEPRE USB.

You helped me out brother and now I eather need to upgrade my OS or use another Computer.
I will get back later..

Great Job!!

Thanks again
George

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sorry to hear that (about the necessary upgrade, I mean)...
One last thing before yo ugo through the trouble...
Have you tried to see if the soundcard gives you output?
Have yo uconnected a mic to see if it gives you input?
Not that I think they're wrong... I just think it's worth making sure first...
And if you do upgrade, make sure to do a search on the web for compatibility issues first (sometimes the MFR thinks it's compatible and it's only by searching that you can find user complaints to the contrary...)

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Greg,
I just got off the phone with M-AUDIO and found out that my OS, Windows XP Media Center Edition is not Compatable with M-AUDIO MOBLEPRE USB.
I usually recommend that people search the internet for user reviews of any sound card or interface they're interested in using. This is a good way to see if anyone reports issues between the card / interface and your operating system.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellows for the replys.

My M-AUDIO MOBLE PRE USB has input and output hrough the REW.

I have Cal. it and the graphs above are there.

What I can't get is a perfect graph straight accross, and there are some parts of

the REW options grayed out and can not be used. (all because of the lack of in Win. XP Media Ed.being compatable with the PRE USB.)

I might be able to use REW with the limitations. B u t....

What I might do is Reformat the drive and use a XP Home that I have from a junked Computes laying around. My main business is sales and service of computers .Repairing is part of it. Setting up sound
is another part.

Thanks again
George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts