Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm stumped and need some help.

I have a new 7.2 receiver that I am using with a 5.1 speaker setup. My sub has dual RCA inputs. I have a Y split cable connected to both plugs on the sub and to a single sub output on the receiver. I am not able to get any sound out of the sub.

Do I have this connected right?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi - I'm stumped and need some help.

I have a new 7.2 receiver that I am using with a 5.1 speaker setup. My sub has dual RCA inputs. I have a Y split cable connected to both plugs on the sub and to a single sub output on the receiver. I am not able to get any sound out of the sub.
Do I have this connected right?
j0j0,
Please provide the make and model number of the two components.

On most subs you do not need to use a Y-connector for the dual RCA inputs.
- In some subs there is a separate LFE input for use with the AVR's SUB OUT.
- The manual should specify which SUB input (LFE, L or R) is used.

To trouble shoot, I would do the following:
If you have another AVR, see if the SUB works with it (confirms the sub is working).

1. Double check sub's POWER and CONTROL KNOB settings:
- Check the appropriate green/red LIGHTS are ON and the VOL KNOB is not at minimum.
2. Double Check the AVR's SPEAKER SETUP for a sub:
- Ensure the AVR knows there is a sub (i.e. SUB is not set to OFF or NONE).
- Check the SUB's CHANNEL LEVEL setting (an offset) is at 0dB or a +dB value.
3. Remove the Y-connector and connect AVR's SUB OUT #1 directly to the left SUB INPUT.
4. Repeat with AVR's SUB OUT #1 to the right SUB INPUT.
5. Repeat above two steps for AVR SUB OUT #2.
6. Also try a different RCA cable in steps 3 to 5.

If none of that finds the problem, have a beer!

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying to test it using the auto config from the AVR as well as THX optimizer on DVD, because I know that both of those should send signal to the sub, but still getting nothing.

I tried with only a single RCA plug connected on the sub, and didn't hear any difference. Should I connect the Y end of the cable to both sub outputs on the AVR and then a single plug to one of the sub RCA plugs?

Sub is powered on (full-on, not auto), volume is at max, tried low pass filter set to both 110Hz and 150Hz, tried phase at both 0 and 180.

Only other thing I can think of is that maybe the sub is defective.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No, use just the one output from the receiver. Try plugging in the sub to the tape out or some other output of the receiver (make sure you have the level on the sub turned down befor you do this then gradually turn it up). if you get sound then its not the sub but if you dont then I agree your sub might be defective.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, depending on the sub, you may have another power switch usually located next to the power cord entering the sub. Make sure that is on as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts