Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So just to make sure I am not crazy here.....

Here is a side by side of my existing v my planned DIY build. More info about eD sub I have here

I see the DIY as being leaps and bounds better, and thats doesnt account for duals. I am pumped for the big difference in the low end as I see that as being a HUGE gain.

I realize their is a wattage and enclosure size difference, but it is what it is....

Although I could always look for another eD and then just a SMS-1 and still have some money left over....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Dual opposed sealed subs can handle 2000 watts. Do you want it modeled with that much power?
Decided not to do dual opposed to keep the cost down. I think 2 15" vented boxes will provide more than I need.

I need to reign myself in here lol... :hsd:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ok... so here is what I think the final build will be in theory.

2 15" SI D4's wired to 2 ohms.
1 iNuke 3000 DSP - fan mod, heatsink mod, add dynamat to fan shroud and case

iNuke HPF @ 20hz (since you can do anything lower)

Here is how I am seeing it graph, and thoughts MUCH appreciated....

**I realize the EQ shows the High Pass @ 18 not 20, I looked at the difference and its 1 db [email protected] 20 hz**

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
You can trick the dsp to hpf lower. I think its a high shelf filter with negative gain..

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461489/how-to-extend-the-high-pass-filter-below-20hz-in-dcx2496/30

Pete
Good to know, but as the difference in WinISD between 20hz and 18hz is about 1db give or take @ 20hz and less and less the higher you go up.

So to me its just not a problem to set the high pass there. I will still get some subsonic stuff I can feel (since I am going with 2 of them) but the woofer will be safe :clap:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So I just pitched the idea to my wife and got shot down bad on duals.

She is open to the idea of replacing our existing sub with a better one. So now I need to look into a good single sub option.

So need to graph out some stuff. But here is my question

Since its just a single sub I am looking at which would graph better:

1. Ported dual opposed 2 SI 15" D4's @ 2 ohm w 1000 watts x 2 in a 6 cubic foot box

2. Sealed dual opposed 2 SI 15" D4's @ 2 ohm w 1000 watts x 2 in a 6 cubic foot box (not sure how much polyfill to add or how to add that in WinISD)

3. Single 12" TC Sounds LMS-R @ 2 ohm w 1000 watts x 2 (each voicecoil connected independent) in a 6 cubic foot box (could possibly go with a 16" sonotube here if not over 45" tall)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Thanks for everyones input. I think I know which route I am going to go and that information can be found in this thread which will house my build and pictures..

The "build" thread is here

61 - 70 of 70 Posts