Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight while I was watch TV on my Samsung HLS6187W an electrical power outage in my home took place for 1-2 seconds twice within a 10 second frame of time. When my Samsung HLS6187W HDTV, Satellite Digital Receiver, JVC Stereo came back on everything worked as normal but the Samsung HLS6187W HDTV. I have an Acoustic Research AR-1005C 10 Outlet Surge Suppressor that have have use with my system for a couple of years without ever having any problems. Short term power outages occur in the rural area where I live sometimes as much as 4-5 times a week so this is something that has happened hundreds of times.

The problem that is now occurring when I turn on my Sammy HDTV, is it comes on fine with both picture and sound for about 15 seconds, then the picture goes black, then in about 3-4 seconds from becoming black, it shuts down completely with three buttons flashing on the front TV panel. The 3 buttons that are flashing together are the (red) Standby/Temp, (green) Timer and the (green) Lamp button.

Does anyone know what happened, what the problem might be, and if there is a reset that may need to be done?

I sure hope it is a reset problem, because if not Christmas will be a sad one in the morning. :rolleyesno:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sounds like a lamp or ballast problem to me. I would start with the lamp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a lamp or ballast problem to me. I would start with the lamp.
If it would be a lamp problem then why would the lamp come on fine for the first 15-30 seconds with a very clear picture, before going to a black screen still with sound for about before 5 seconds, before then shutting down completely leaving the 3 blinking lights?

I would think if the Lamp was bad it would never give you a picture, and have a black screen all the time. :huh:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You might think that but it happens all the time.

What does your user manual say about all three LEDs blinking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
When it goes black, is the lamp going out? If so, I would start with a lamp. Even if it is not, it is probably the first thing to try. I would also look for swollen caps in the power supply or ballast, and loose connections.

After years of servicing these sets, one lesson that most techs learn is that the first thing to try when it is a suspect at all is the lamp. Even when it is not, try the lamp first, unless of course something else obvious is the case like some visibly damaged components or some loose connections.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your thread was moved to the Samsung forum in Service and Support to maintain forum organization and to make information easier to find and more useful in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your thread was moved to the Samsung forum in Service and Support to maintain forum organization and to make information easier to find and more useful in the future.
Thank you so much for replies, and moving the thread. Maybe someone over in the Samsung forum has run into my problem before.

Do you know where I can find a picture of a power supply and ballast, so I can check for swollen caps like you mentioned?

I believe the Ballast is located behind where the Lamp housing comes out at. Is that correct?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I do not recall the layout of every set, but I believe that yours is as you describe. I am not aware of any images. When you look at electrolytic caps, the tops should be flat and not bulging upward. They are rather obvious when they are puffed out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi.... Just checking if you have found your problem on your 61"? Last Friday night during a snow/wind storm the power went out for a few seconds and I am experiencing the same problem as you have. Any luck fixing it? Thanks in advance!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts