Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just started with a modest budget of 2,000$ for building my HT setup.

As you can see from this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-system-recommendations/79746-need-help-building-ht-system-under-2000-a-2.html , I used part of that budget to buy a Marantz SR6008 receiver for 957$. Now I need to buy 5.1 speaker components with my remaining budget of 1,043$.

The problem is I can only choose from the following brands or speakers as they are available locally. I also have an option to listen to them before purchasing. Please let me know which would be a decent combination.

1) Polk Audio RTi's comprising of A5 , A1 , CSi A4 and DSW PRO 660 Wi (wired) : Total costs 1,099 $
2) Polk Audio A7 - Costs 358 $ each
3) Polk Audio DSW PRO 660 Wi costs 383 $
4) Harmon Kardon AVR70 5.1 setup costs 415 $
5) JBL Studio Series 5.1 comprising of JBL studio 180 , Sub 140 P , 120C , and 130 : Total cost 1,167 $
6) JBL Studio 180 - Costs 287 $
7) JBL Studio Sub 140P Costs 440 $
8) JBL Studio 120C - 198 $
9) JBL Studio 130 - didnt note the price
10) Harmon Kardon HKTS 60BQ / 230 5.1 speaker setup - 851 $
11) Onkyo SKW 770 Sub - 141 $
12) Onkyo SKF-4800 5.1 speakers together cost - 461 $
13) Bowers and Wilkinson 684 speakers - 624 $ each
14) KEF C series 5.1 - 922 $
15) KEF sub C4(B) - 283 $

Update: There is also a Pioneer dealer whom I have not met yet. So I guess I will be adding Speakers and Subs from them as well.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
So I just started with a modest budget of 2,000$ for building my HT setup. As you can see from this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-system-recommendations/79746-need-help-building-ht-system-under-2000-a-2.html , I used part of that budget to buy a Marantz SR6008 receiver for 957$. Now I need to buy 5.1 speaker components with my remaining budget of 1,043$. The problem is I can only choose from the following brands or speakers as they are available locally. I also have an option to listen to them before purchasing. Please let me know which would be a decent combination. 1) Polk Audio RTi's comprising of A5 , A1 , CSi A4 and DSW PRO 660 Wi (wired) : Total costs 1,099 $ 2) Polk Audio A7 - Costs 358 $ each 3) Polk Audio DSW PRO 660 Wi costs 383 $ 4) Harmon Kardon AVR70 5.1 setup costs 415 $ 5) JBL Studio Series 5.1 comprising of JBL studio 180 , Sub 140 P , 120C , and 130 : Total cost 1,167 $ 6) JBL Studio 180 - Costs 287 $ 7) JBL Studio Sub 140P Costs 440 $ 8) JBL Studio 120C - 198 $ 9) JBL Studio 130 - didnt note the price 10) Harmon Kardon HKTS 60BQ / 230 5.1 speaker setup - 851 $ 11) Onkyo SKW 770 Sub - 141 $ 12) Onkyo SKF-4800 5.1 speakers together cost - 461 $ 13) Bowers and Wilkinson 684 speakers - 624 $ each 14) KEF C series 5.1 - 922 $ 15) KEF sub C4(B) - 283 $
Well, fwiw, I own JBL studio2, and have only adoration for them. For that reason, I would personally start with the studio5. They look cool, and good on paper too. I like the horns! Then the KEF, and B&W. I only put them in that order cause the B&W will be expensive, but maybe worth it. For the subs, I'd say none of these will yield the same performance as most of the ID companies, and (personally) wouldn't choose any of them. If there is absolutely zero way to ship a sub to you, I don't know what to say. ...grabbin thinking cap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, fwiw, I own JBL studio2, and have only adoration for them. For that reason, I would personally start with the studio5. They look cool, and good on paper too. I like the horns! Then the KEF, and B&W. I only put them in that order cause the B&W will be expensive, but maybe worth it. For the subs, I'd say none of these will yield the same performance as most of the ID companies, and (personally) wouldn't choose any of them. If there is absolutely zero way to ship a sub to you, I don't know what to say. ...grabbin thinking cap.
Thanks.

Actually it is JBL studio series 1 with 5.1 speakers, would you still recommend it ? I was a bit let down by the 140 P sub though which was just 140 Watts. Contrary to this the Polk Audio RTi DSW PRO 660i sub sounded better.

Sorry , but what do you mean by horns ?

Also there is another option for Subs from Pioneer but I haven't visited them yet. Hope they have something good.

Actually I just want a decent sub now and in future if God willing will try to ship better subs for upgrading.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually reading pretty good reviews on the Onkyo SKF-4800 tower speakers right now. Strange no one here seems to be recommending it. This seem like a pretty good bang for the buck speakers.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm actually reading pretty good reviews on the Onkyo SKF-4800 tower speakers right now. Strange no one here seems to be recommending it. This seem like a pretty good bang for the buck speakers.
They will fall short of the JBL and Polk RTi speakers.

However if you want them - then buy them - your call

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thanks. Actually it is JBL studio series 1 with 5.1 speakers, would you still recommend it ? I was a bit let down by the 140 P sub though which was just 140 Watts. Contrary to this the Polk Audio RTi DSW PRO 660i sub sounded better. Sorry , but what do you mean by horns ? Also there is another option for Subs from Pioneer but I haven't visited them yet. Hope they have something good. Actually I just want a decent sub now and in future if God willing will try to ship better subs for upgrading.
I had a hard time find in any feedback on the studio 1's when they were released. They have a very interesting look. I would guess they'd sound good, but your ears should decide. I would however recommend a test drive.
The "horn" I mentioned were in reference to the horn loaded tweeters in the studio 5's.
As far as subs, IME, the ones that I've found by "speaker makers", to be good were by Polk. I do like pioneer and like their products, but I think their subs would probably perform similarity to the other big names. Try the onkyo spkrs too. If they sound good, they sound good. I think nobody is recommending them, cause onkyo isn't known for speaker making, so it's like buying a front end loader built by Chevrolet. Onkyo probably has someone else build em anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a hard time find in any feedback on the studio 1's when they were released. They have a very interesting look. I would guess they'd sound good, but your ears should decide. I would however recommend a test drive.
The "horn" I mentioned were in reference to the horn loaded tweeters in the studio 5's.
As far as subs, IME, the ones that I've found by "speaker makers", to be good were by Polk. I do like pioneer and like their products, but I think their subs would probably perform similarity to the other big names. Try the onkyo spkrs too. If they sound good, they sound good. I think nobody is recommending them, cause onkyo isn't known for speaker making, so it's like buying a front end loader built by Chevrolet. Onkyo probably has someone else build em anyway.
No I'm going to ignore the Onkyo's. It's only going to be between the Polk's and JBL until I hear something better from Pioneer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would recommend looking at what you can get from Pioneer for sure. Their SP-PK52FS system minus the sub combined with a SVS sub will get you good bang for your $$$$.
Problem now is just getting a reliable and decent sub. I can't get the svs sub as earlier mentioned reason that I'm buying locally.

If pioneers sub are not as good as the Polk audio dsw pro 660 wi I may just settle with it despite it's reliability issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update , So I spoke to the Pioneer dealership here and they do have the Andrew Jones speaker system here complete. They quoted me as below.

1) The Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS 5.1 system comprising of SP-FS52 floor standing speakers + SP-BS22 Rear Speakers + SP-C22 center channel+ S31W Subwoofer : Costs 443$

2) The Andrew Jones speakers SP-PK52FS minus the subwoofer i.e SP-FS52 floor standing speakers + SP-BS22 Rear Speakers + SP-C22 center channel : Costs 312$

3) Pioneer F31 Subwoofer : Costs 149$

4) Pioneer S-MS35W Subwoofer : Costs 184$

What do you guy's think about this ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Why is it that you have to buy local? SVS ships for free...

Also, spending almost 50% of your budget on the AVR wasn't the best decision but if you're happy with it then that's cool.

As far as the speakers - the pioneers are fantastic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why is it that you have to buy local? SVS ships for free...

Also, spending almost 50% of your budget on the AVR wasn't the best decision but if you're happy with it then that's cool.

As far as the speakers - the pioneers are fantastic.
I live in Kuwait. Do they ship it free here , actually do they ship at all here ?

Are the Pioneers better than the Polk Audi RTi's ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm considering of buying only the subs online now. Thinking of BIC F12's , are these good ?

Can you suggest me other good subs in this price range ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm considering of buying only the subs online now. Thinking of BIC F12's , are these good ?

Can you suggest me other good subs in this price range ?
I am still amazed with spending all that money on a receiver, and then
looking at the lower budget friendly speakers and subs.

What sub brands are available in your area?

The Polk DSW Pro is not a bad option - and JBL does make some nice subs

Your call

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am still amazed with spending all that money on a receiver, and then
looking at the lower budget friendly speakers and subs.

What sub brands are available in your area?

The Polk DSW Pro is not a bad option - and JBL does make some nice subs

Your call
Yeah just checked some reviews and it seems like a bad option to go for the BIC. Think I may just have to listen and decide from the 3 options I have between Andrew Jones Pioneer , Polk Audio RTi and the JBL studio series 1 , the subs are also from these brands only so among these I think the best are from Polk Audio only.

In future I can think about upgrading to something better.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yeah just checked some reviews and it seems like a bad option to go for the BIC. Think I may just have to listen and decide from the 3 options I have between Andrew Jones Pioneer , Polk Audio RTi and the JBL studio series 1 , the subs are also from these brands only so among these I think the best are from Polk Audio only.
The JBL Studio 150P subwoofer is a nice one - it was reviewed and measured good.
So if you buy the Studio 1 series - keep an eye out for it.

Also note - you do not really need to brand match subwoofers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The JBL Studio 150P subwoofer is a nice one - it was reviewed and measured good.
So if you buy the Studio 1 series - keep an eye out for it.

Also note - you do not really need to brand match subwoofers.
Yeah I read about that but my dealer only has the 140P and I didn't really like that one. I will go next week and see if they have the 150P.

Yeah I know , but the best sub I have seen so far are only the Polk Audio RTi's DSW Pro 660 i , nothing else here comes close to that ( yet ).

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yeah I read about that but my dealer only has the 140P and I didn't really like that one. I will go next week and see if they have the 150P.
The 140P is just an 8" subwoofer

Polk is still a nice option for you, in your area.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts