Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Re: how to set up multiple subs properly

I'm at a loss of words for a good explanation but technically either way is correct. Commercial subwoofers have phase swithces on them for integrating with the mains and it's always whatever setting sounds best is the proper set up. As you've found there are trade off's to each way, in the end it's up to you.

Try moving the subs around the room. Corner locations help with the low frequencies and a cheap eq like the BFD can smooth out problems.

· Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
If you want them set by the book, their levels should be as flat as possible and matched to the level of the mains. This doesn't always result in room shaking or satisfying bass. Adding a house curve to your eq settings can help you get that low end without sounding 'boomy', though I don't know how to apply it to the SMS.

Also, double check the phase and distance settings set by the Audyssey. Sometimes they can be a bit wacko

· Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
how many db would be the max you would want in a certain scene in a movie. Now I am well aware that you wan't as much 12-16hz that you can afford. But say in the 20-32hz there is more actual sound at 32hz then at 20hz.
Generally speaking in a properly calibrated system, max output from the sub should be 115db at the seat. But that's only if the recording engineers mixed the effect at max level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.