Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all ,

I will be reconverting my bachelor into a basement with playroom for the kids and a home theater. The room i will be using is below one of the kids room.

What solution could i use to soundproof the ceiling to prevent sound to disturb the kids at night

Thank you

alain

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hello Alain,

You can get increased isolation by treating only the ceiling. However sound will travel up the walls, into the floor joists and simply flank the ceiling to some degree.

Treating the ceiling alone will certainly help, but understand that sound will still be making it upstairs fairly readily.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hello Alain,

You can get increased isolation by treating only the ceiling. However sound will travel up the walls, into the floor joists and simply flank the ceiling to some degree.

Treating the ceiling alone will certainly help, but understand that sound will still be making it upstairs fairly readily.
Depends on a lot of factors, but it is possible to isolate the room, by building a room within the room. I'm thinking it would be overkill for this. At the very least use a gramma with your subwoofer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Alain,

Thank you for your response. What would you suggest i could do to stop as much sound as possible from making it to the room above?

Building a room within a room is not really an option

·
Registered
285 Posts
Double layer 5/8 drywall with green glue on the walls and ceiling. Sound isolation clips and two layers on the ceiling would be even better. Look at my monkeyboy ht thread for some pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts