Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I came here when I was looking to do my first DIY sub. I ended up making a 6.5 cu ft slot port with the dayton audio DVC385-88 15" and BASH 300w amp. It turned out great, but it is a little lacking in music, can't hit quite as hard when it has to fast. It's a cheaper driver, and a larger, so I can accept that. For HT/party it's awesome, but I'm looking to take a step up.

I figure I might solve the problem with either dual smaller drivers (ie 10,12) and roughly the same SPL or with a better quality 15 + pro driver and get a little more SPL.

Here's a comparison. My existing sub in white. A 2 foot x 2 foot base x 3(+a few inches for brace/driver/etc volume) ft high dual opposed with the RSS315HFA-8 and same amp in yellow. Then a ridiculously small 3 cu ft. with the Titanic MK4 and a NU1000DSP amp. Now I know one of you can DEFINITELY show up that design, I couldn't figure how to work with that particular driver, though for the size it is impressive to me.

Right now I'm kinda favoring the dual 12s, but that whacky 3 cubic footer does give a considerable chuck of SPL. However, what other (better) options could be good for me?

Considerations:
-Can go up to $800, would prefer $500.
-Would like to keep current amp, but willing to go to the iNukes. Other pro amps are ok, but I'd prefer to spend more on drivers than amps
-No particular driver favored, suggest whatever you think
-Prefer to keep within 2 x 2 base, height nonissue
-Quality sound over SPL, hence why I'm willing to stay at same volume with the 12s

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I thought of it more a driver problem, since my issues are either when it's trying to hit several close notes or it getting their just barely too late. I'm not opposed to sealed, but it seems like most sacrificed a lot of the 20-60 range, which is most of my current crossover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now it's benefitting from a good bit of room gain in a corner. Then again, it is a smaller room (12x16x9). I've tried it in the center, and in a larger room (20x30x12). Center, same results. Larger room, I didn't really notice. So it could be I'm too close and it "catches up" to the rest of the sound farther away (or just is less noticeable).

It's a good sub, it's definitely not that I find it horrible; I'm just looking to build an upgrade. I've always had a bad case of DIY-itis, now that I just finished another project it's swung back to subs/speakers

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
If height is not an issue, what about sonosubs? Also I believe you can figure 6db of gain per room boundary(+12 in a corner. 6 more if you count the floor but its already there so...) Have you spent a lot of time with placement? Even a foot can make a difference. What about phase? I filled a good sized null centered @50hz that way. Not sayin to skip the build, just wondering how far you've gone. :)

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
If height is not an issue, what about sonosubs? Also I believe you can figure 6db of gain per room boundary(+12 in a corner. 6 more if you count the floor but its already there so...) Have you spent a lot of time with placement? Even a foot can make a difference. What about phase? I filled a good sized null centered @50hz that way. Not sayin to skip the build, just wondering how far you've gone. :)
Lol, just realized Mike pretty much asked this!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it's a downfiring sub in the corner. I'm helping it the best I know how placement wise xD Like I said, I might be physically too close, I will probably experiment with it in the next corner up. I didn't notice the issues as much in the bigger room, was standing in a sweet spot farther back than my chair is (but the sub volume was turned up as well to match heard volume in the bigger space, not exactly apples to apples).

I have no issues with sonosub designs, or any others. Haven't started anything, just looking for an idea a step up from what I have. I'm here looking for the advice of you people much more knowledgeable about these things than me, I'm happy to hear anything out.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Couple more things. Have you done the "sub crawl"? Phase? I'm just throwing these out there while trying to brainstorm a new build for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple more things. Have you done the "sub crawl"? Phase? I'm just throwing these out there while trying to brainstorm a new build for you.
Just redid a crawl. Music, it seemed in the right spot, or equivalent to it's new (keep reading). Then I did tone tests at 25 -55 by 5hz. Consider the room
like in roughly this rectangle: []

It is currently in bottom right corner. Anything below 40Hz is better represented in its current spot. 40-55 were all slightly more apparent in the bottom left corner. Unfortunately that's my roommate's side of the room, but next year we're splitting it in half hamburger instead of hotdog style (3rd grade references ftw xD). Currently have it slid over there as I'm typing (he's gone for easter), and there is some improvement.

However, I still notice it getting to some of the notes juuust too slow. Most people wouldn't notice, I just do. Literally less than a doubleclick reaction time test too slow compared to the woofers that have the same beat, but there. That's why I thought smaller or better quality drivers might help, though if that's just a thing I suppose I can live with it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts