Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY i need help with designing a custom made 17hz 8th order butterworth highpass filter for my custom sonotube subwoofer does anyone know how to make one iv seen a lot of online calculators but none the can do 8th order

this is what i need for my sub build after modeling in winisd

does anyone have the means to model me a blueprint with

Inductors an Capacitors values an etc. that i would need to do this

to either follow or send to a custom service that could build me one

i need two different diagrams one with this config

8th order butterworth highpass at 17hz with
4ohm input from the amp at 1600watts an output to the driver at 2ohms at 1600watts

an one with this config

2ohm input from the amp at 800watts an output to the driver at 2ohms at 800watts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im still tring to figure out if should seek to build a 17hz 8th order highpass or use my outlaws built in parametric eq to conttol the sub drivers cone excursion because i can model an 8ths response in winisd but not a low shelf control as thers no option for that this is what im aiming for

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h15m46s726.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m04s033.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m21s427.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m32s298.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m36s660.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m55s020.jpg

im all ready working on the cabinet that has a 115in labyrinth port

sofaside vxf15in d4 13.jpg

sofaside vxf15in d4 15.jpg

sofaside vxf15in d4 4.jpg

sofaside vxf15in d4 8.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice looking sub.
Just curious, why do you need such a steep high pass?
I have never seen an analog filter that steep. I would think it would get quite difficult to get to work and likely expensive as well.
If you are not adverse to it I suggest trying a digital crossover.
Even a cheap mini DSP should be fine for a sub.
Something like the 2x4 or HD should do well and you gain EQ, mixing, peak limiting, and more as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i needed it to control the drivers cone excursion below 17hz from exceding the limit by for now im going to use my outlaw audio 976's self filter control in the parometric eg which iv ust recently learned that it will work just as well

·
Registered
26 Posts
HEY i need help with designing a custom made 17hz 8th order butterworth highpass filter for my custom sonotube subwoofer does anyone know how to make one iv seen a lot of online calculators but none the can do 8th order

2ohm input from the amp at 800watts an output to the driver at 2ohms at 800watts
Hopefully, you aren't attempting to do this passively, because it would require four extremely huge inductors and four banks of capacitors.Your proposed filter would have to be implemented actively by cascading several lower order filters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not worth the effort and $$$ to do it passively. More likely than not you won't need it anyway. WinISD and other modelers assume that the driver's excursion is linear with all input voltages and it certainly is not, as the driver approaches and exceeds Xmax. Actual excursion at those very low frequencies below Fb is likely to be a lot less.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not worth the effort and $$$ to do it passively. More likely than not you won't need it anyway. WinISD and other modelers assume that the driver's excursion is linear with all input voltages and it certainly is not, as the driver approaches and exceeds Xmax. Actual excursion at those very low frequencies below Fb is likely to be a lot less.
Some pre-amps and receivers have a switchable high pass filter, well, they used to way back when vinyl records were ubiquitous.They called them Subsonic Filters. . . should have called them Infrasonic Filters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts