Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... I want to covert my 4x15" IB into a ported box... Although I love my IB..it has rendered the back side of half my basement useless... when it's on no one can really be there...

I have a closet the it's occupying the IB now that I want to use to build a box to house all 4 subs... If someone can model for me how may cubic feet and how many ports will I need to house 4 Adire Tempests subs.... Also if I were to make it sealed what size would I need? For power I have 2 amps I can use they are both Crests CPX 2600's .. they can put out 2000 each bridged.... I also have a Beringer parametric EQ..

This is strictly for home theatre...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Sealed would take 1500 watts to reach Xmax with a HPF at 20 hz.
Ported would take 1300 watts to reach Xmax with a HPF at 16 hz.
Two 8 inch ports 15 inches long each keeps the port air speed under 22 m/s. I forget what the coils are on the Tempest, you'll have to see if 4 subs can be wired for a 4 ohm load.

4x Tempest.JPG

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,the coils are 8 ohm each.. right now I have them wired to give me a total of 4 ohms.. so I will wire them the same way.Thank You!:T

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, were you using a High Pass Filter in the IB setup?
I was just using the DSP1124 eq..with some mild +3 boost at the bottom end at around 20hz..

I am running out of my HTR's sub out outlet which already has a build in crossover...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two 8 inch ports 15 inches long each

I was using the enclosure calculators and I was trying to figure out a way to make a slotted port instead of 2x 8 inchers...

I have come up with a slot measurement of 21x5x15 depth.. which takes up a Total Port Volume of 1575 square inches.2 x8x15 depth..tubes take up 1500 sq.in.... Am I doing it correctly?:nerd:

·
Registered
177 Posts
How many boxes are you planning to build 2 or 1?

Looking at 40cf for 4 ported subs you need 20cf for each box if run them 2 per box. When you start building them that large you need to worry about resonance problems. I'd download boxnotes and see how the size/dimensions you are shooting for will work out.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
can we get some pics? I'm looking forward to see how this..... is this a SLLT? I'm looking forward to seeing how this compares to your IB! Do you have a build log for your IB as well?

thank you

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can we get some pics? I'm looking forward to see how this..... is this a SLLT? I'm looking forward to seeing how this compares to your IB! Do you have a build log for your IB as well?

thank you

It's basically a closet that I converted to a vented box... I lined the walls with mdf and the back I doubled it up...

I haven't done any measurements yet....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts