Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
For the record, I've never bought a broken A stock item in all of my life. And I've bought plenty of electronics and music equipment. Refurb 2 buys and 2 broken. I would consider doing it with a local shop or Best Buy where I could walk in with it. I would never do it again from a website.
Well many B-Stocks were A-Stocks that did arrive DOA. With both A-Stock and B-Stock the chances are pretty small that the AVR is going to fail out of the box. Regardless, I certainly understand given your experience not choosing to purchase a B-Stock in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Newborn + death and illness in family + them sending me a broken piece of gear= "Sorry! We'll switch your current refurb out for another refurb. Sorry for your loss." Seriously, think about it.
I have no chips on the table here, I empathize the personal loss you have experienced, I don't buy refurb gear, I have never done business with the named vendor.
From this post it appears you bought a refurb and were offered a refurb in exchange (this is a different report than was initially posted), if this is the case the vendor offered to make an even exchange which seems reasonable and appropriate to me.
While you are clearly dissatisfied, other than the unit working correctly out of the box, what would have made you happy ?
If you think replacing the refurb unit with a A stock, new in the box unit would have been appropriate, I do not agree because that is not what you paid for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no chips on the table here, I empathize the personal loss you have experienced, I don't buy refurb gear, I have never done business with the named vendor.
From this post it appears you bought a refurb and were offered a refurb in exchange (this is a different report than was initially posted), if this is the case the vendor offered to make an even exchange which seems reasonable and appropriate to me.
While you are clearly dissatisfied, other than the unit working correctly out of the box, what would have made you happy ?
If you think replacing the refurb unit with a A stock, new in the box unit would have been appropriate, I do not agree because that is not what you paid for.
I'm being offered a refurb from Denon, not the vendor. Denon has been amazing. I was just hoping the website would consider the circumstances and exchange it for another refurb (making my life a bit easier). When I emailed them about my circumstance they said "repairs are generally only 2-3 weeks" and never returned my actual phone call. That's a big part of this - the guy blowing off my phone call. Even the guy defending the site can't really defend that.

Waiting for a repair means I get the label today, mail it Monday. Add another week to the 2-3 week estimate. I'm sure the holiday will add yet another week. Needless to say, I'm out my sweet AVR for most likely 2 months. Like I said, from my perspective, I opened the box and it didn't work. That is absolutely what happened. I would expect any business that sold a broken item to take it back (even and especially if life events prevented a customer from opening it within the 30 days). I may even be wrong about this but I don't think so. All I wanted was another refurb unit so I didn't have to wait 2 months for a unit that I had paid for to work. With all of the stuff going on it would have been wonderful to have my unit for the time I'm spending with my family.

Sad about it but thats life. I just won't be buying anything from them in the future. I'm sure with service like that they'll lose quite a bit of business. My friends and I buy AV gear here and there and a good experience in this case would have led to a recommendation. One guy just asked last week where to buy a receiver...guess who I didn't recommend! Even if you disagree with the return, blowing off my call is pretty horrible.
I just wanted the guy making the decision to listen to my perspective and make a decision. He never returned my call.

I look forward to participating in other topics not related to this. Be well!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I'm being offered a refurb from Denon, not the vendor. Denon has been amazing. I was just hoping the website would consider the circumstances and exchange it for another refurb (making my life a bit easier). When I emailed them about my circumstance they said "repairs are generally only 2-3 weeks" and never returned my actual phone call. That's a big part of this - the guy blowing off my phone call. Even the guy defending the site can't really defend that.

Waiting for a repair means I get the label today, mail it Monday. Add another week to the 2-3 week estimate. I'm sure the holiday will add yet another week. Needless to say, I'm out my sweet AVR for most likely 2 months. Like I said, from my perspective, I opened the box and it didn't work. That is absolutely what happened. I would expect any business that sold a broken item to take it back (even and especially if life events prevented a customer from opening it within the 30 days). I may even be wrong about this but I don't think so. All I wanted was another refurb unit so I didn't have to wait 2 months for a unit that I had paid for to work. With all of the stuff going on it would have been wonderful to have my unit for the time I'm spending with my family.

Sad about it but thats life. I just won't be buying anything from them in the future. I'm sure with service like that they'll lose quite a bit of business. My friends and I buy AV gear here and there and a good experience in this case would have led to a recommendation. One guy just asked last week where to buy a receiver...guess who I didn't recommend! Even if you disagree with the return, blowing off my call is pretty horrible.
I just wanted the guy making the decision to listen to my perspective and make a decision. He never returned my call.

I look forward to participating in other topics not related to this. Be well!
Seriously? As the "guy" defending the site, I highly recommend that you read our rules of conduct. I usually do not post such things in public, but I have tried to show understanding to your situation. Considering I am the one who actually acknowledged the actual website you were talking about, I am somewhat flummoxed by that offhanded comment.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I just want to know how many people headed to the dictionary for the definition of flummoxed? I did. :)

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
In well over 7000 posts I have never quoted from our rules, but.... "We simply can not over emphasize enough the importance of any member, under any circumstances, "publicly" reproaching our staff by calling our status or our decisions into question... in any form or fashion. If you want to be banned, this is the quickest way."

Perhaps some might see the post as a grey area. However, I do not. Throughout this thread, I just do not understand how what I have written could be construed as defending AC4L. Especially as I was the one who even acknowledged the retailer being discussed and trying to show understanding to the situation as well.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
For what it's worth I don't think you were out of line Jack. The OP was obviously frustrated by his experience and our forum is definitely pro Onkyo and IMO for good reason. You just can't make everyone happy and on occasion someone is bound to end up with a defective unit.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Fully agree, it is always a risk buying electronics from any seller. Defective units are everywhere and to put blame on one seller is not fair at all.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The thing is I never discussed Onkyo. The only thing that seemed to cause issue is that AC4L offering a 30 Day Return Policy whilst an overwhelming percentage offering the lowest prices is a rare thing.

I stated that this was the definition of a mitigating circumstance. However, Best Buy would have done nothing different. Same goes with a about everyone with the exception of Costco.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,
The thing is I never discussed Onkyo. The only thing that seemed to cause issue is that AC4L offering a 30 Day Return Policy whilst an overwhelming percentage offering the lowest prices is a rare thing.

I stated that this was the definition of a mitigating circumstance. However, Best Buy would have done nothing different. Same goes with a about everyone with the exception of Costco.
Cheers,
JJ
Apologies if I offended you - that was truly not my intent. I was trying to express that nobody could defend the behavior of the website not returning my call. Apologies if I didn't communicate that the right way.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I really think this has been a matter of misunderstanding. One for which I am decidedly culpable. I really am sympathetic to your situation and purposely disclosed the website not to defend it, but to let other members know your experience.

I am so glad Denon has swapped out your 1912. Please believe be when I say I have maybe had 2 or 3 differences of opinion like this during my entire time here.
All the best,
J

·
Registered
16 Posts
:huh:
Hello,
I really think this has been a matter of misunderstanding. One for which I am decidedly culpable. I really am sympathetic to your situation and purposely disclosed the website not to defend it, but to let other members know your experience.

I am so glad Denon has swapped out your 1912. Please believe be when I say I have maybe had 2 or 3 differences of opinion like this during my entire time here.
All the best,
J
I just wanted to report back in that I'm now on my 3rd replacement of this as the 2nd has experienced an issue. I truly hope Denon can find a way to get my money back if this one doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
:huh:

I just wanted to report back in that I'm now on my 3rd replacement of this as the 2nd has experienced an issue. I truly hope Denon can find a way to get my money back if this one doesn't work.
The chances of getting money back are amazingly slim. Another AVR? Most likely. What went wrong with the last one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This one kicks off and the red light flashes. The manual said it is a warning for overheating. There is plenty of space around the receiver and it sometimes kicks off before it really gets running.

The replacement is ok so far. I hear what you're saying about getting money back and it maybe not being possible. But at some point a company owes a customer for their time. In reality, based on them "testing" refurbs before they leave, I must be the luckiest cat out there. 2 that just happen to be the needles in haystacks of malfunctioning refurbs. I don't think so. Never again on a refurb. I should have just gone to Best Buy and spent half as much for a Yamaha that would have worked out if the box.

I have over 4 hours into this thing to just get a receiver that works (and I'm still not even sure I have one yet). This is between driving to reship units back and connecting and disconnecting, setting up etc.... At some point, a company should do the right thing and either a) give me my money back b) ship me a new receiver instead of a refurb.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
How much ventilation where the AVR is placed? How many inches of clearance is there above the AVR and is it placed in an enclosed AV Rack?
Unfortunately, if a refurbished AVR is purchased, it is exceedingly rare for a manufacturer to replace it with an A-Stock. Truly sorry for the issues you have experienced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
3rd unit the receiver resets itself on a loop with with a flashing green light. Did a system reset and made sure all connections are taught.

Does anybody have anything else I can try before I ca Denon?

I've truly been patient with their sending of 3 units. Good customer service would be just getting my money back if I want it. With driving to drop off at fed ex, and disconnecting and setting up, I'll now have 6 hours into this thing. With a 3 month old and 4 year old at home I just don't have time for this. I'm sincerely disappointed with this whole experience and don't believe Denon has the capability to test their refurb units prior to shipping.

Every unit I've had a problem with started acting up after and hour of watching. Just turning it on once would lead you to believe it worked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
3rd unit the receiver resets itself on a loop with with a flashing green light. Did a system reset and made sure all connections are taught.

Does anybody have anything else I can try before I ca Denon?

I've truly been patient with their sending of 3 units. Good customer service would be just getting my money back if I want it. With driving to drop off at fed ex, and disconnecting and setting up, I'll now have 6 hours into this thing. With a 3 month old and 4 year old at home I just don't have time for this. I'm sincerely disappointed with this whole experience and don't believe Denon has the capability to test their refurb units prior to shipping.

Every unit I've had a problem with started acting up after and hour of watching. Just turning it on once would lead you to believe it worked.
Sounds like you're cursed or something!

Couple things:

1. Have you tried connecting NOTHING to the unit and just turn it on to see what happens? If it goes into overload/protection/whatever while doing absolutely nothing, you've got a good case to go after Denon with.

2. Are you plugging it into the same receptacle each time? Probably just a remote possibility, but could their be something wrong with your mains wiring to that receptacle?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts