Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I was looking at buliding a new sub. Something sealed with a couple PR's to help keep the overall size small. Right now I have a SDX-15 sub and a ep-2500. I was looking at WinISD and was thinking of something around 3.5 to 4 ft3. As for the PR's I saw the 18" 2100g ones at CSS and the 15" 1400 grams and have no idea what to pick. I have never used PR's and dont know a whole lot about them. Im interested in what others have used. Thanks!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its in a 12.5 ft3 box that is ported. Its not that its a bad sub its just that I would like to make one a little smaller. If I can use one or two PR's to help the build out I will.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Green is what you have, 12.5 cu. ft . tuned to 15 hz. Both pink models are in a 24" cube with a pair of the CSS 15" PR's. Shown is the various tuning by adding washers to the outside of the PR. a Hi-Pass filter is required at 18 hz to protect the PR's from over excursion. Input power is 1000 watts for all models.

sdx15pr.JPG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Mike, thanks so much for the replys they are great. I have a little problem on my end, I can't get the same numbers on WinISD that you get. I picked the SDX-15 sub and checked the specs to the ones on Funky Waves, as goes for the PR's, I went with the 1400g ones with the specs on CSS. In WinISD I left the added mass to cone at zero and still get a tune of 16.74hz and can't get it any higher. Not too sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Mike thanks for the link that is a way better PR to use, better than what I was looking at. The ony prob is I still cant get my WinISD to look like yours. Here are my specs. VAS 463,FS 19HZ, XMAX 33MM,QMS 7, SD 800CM2,2 PR's, 0 mass added and the SDX-15 sub selected. This looks like the set-up I will go with it just would be nice to be able to see what will happen when I add more mass to the PR. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again Mike for the post, I see what I was doing wrong, I had no weight on the PR's. One question to ask however. On the CSS page under the link to the APR-15 it also says that the washers are also 45 grams as well but the specs page says the are 50 grams.....Not too sure what is the right one to follow. Thanks!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the spec mike. I ordered the APR's and a few other items from CSS today and asked what was the right number to go from and was told the same from them as well. Hope to have the stuff by the weekend and can start to build the box!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike, I have another question for you. Would it be worth it to stuff the box or not? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was able to put some time into a box this weekend and here is what I got.

So far I am ver happy with the quality of this sub. The two PR's are great!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I picked up a RS spl meter and was trying a few tests with the sub. What I found was that with a 30 hz test tone playing, I sit in my sweet spot and have the meter set on 80db C weighting and slow action I am at 80db on the nose. As soon as I move left or right the meter will climb, and fast. I can easily get 10 db more as I get closer to the walls and stay the same distance from the sub as the main listening position. If I get into a corrner it is even worse. What can I do to even out the bass level throughout the whole room??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts