Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a man cave and i need help with a screen paint. the room is 11' by 21'. the wall are a brown/orange. The ceiling is white and will stay white. i have good control of the light that gets into the room.My projector is a Epson ex 50. I want a 110" screen. front row of seats will be around 13' the projector is at 12'. Thanks in advance for the help.:T

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
That is a very bright presentation projector. I recommend at least an N8 gray, but you can definitely handle darker than that. For a DIY option my recommendation is Black Widow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. How would my Projector look on C&S or Scorpion? Or is BW the best way for me? This is my first projector and need all the help i can get. Thanks

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Thanks. How would my Projector look on C&S or Scorpion? Or is BW the best way for me? This is my first projector and need all the help i can get. Thanks
C&S is a fantastic option, but it is an N9, which to most people looks white.

An OTS N8 or yes Scorpion would be the lightest for you. With your amount of lumens though you can handle Black Widow with no problems and you'll still have incredible whites. Just make sure to calibrate!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the help. Now i just have to get all the supplies for BW. Not sure if i can get Auto Air Aluminum locally in Memphis. I'm going to sand and prime the wall tomorrow. Hope to have BW by next weekend. Also on the internet I found a web page with AAA 4101 is that the right stuff ? Or does it need to be 4100? Thanks again!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi vols9898,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not knocking your PJ, but it is my understanding that presentation projectors, especially LCD's, need help in producing black blacks. I know I need all the help I can get along these lines with my own Viewsonic PJ503D presentation PJ even thought it is a DLP model. The best way to do that is with a darker gray screen such as Black Widow™.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Harpmaker
I thank i'm go with the BW. I'm trying to findout if i can get AAA locally in Memphis. If not i well order it monday or tuesady. What screen do you have and do you like it. Thanks for your help

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Actually, I'm the odd-ball of our group in that I don't really have a home theater in the regular sense. :yikes: My projector is in my workshop and I use it primarily to test panels of DIY screen mixes.

It's a long story, but I'll try to condense it down. I had wanted a PJ for some time and several years ago I finally found a good sale on the PJ503D. After getting it I started looking for a DIY paint to make my own screen. Like many before me I first discovered the AVS DIY Screen forum, and also like many before, and after, me I was cajoled into using the Silver Fire mix advocated by one of the main posters there. To make long short, I made my SF screen, but then realized that it wouldn't fit up the stairway to my bedroom (where I wanted to use the PJ). While I was contemplating ways around that problem I discovered HTS and was asked to be a beta tester for the mix that would come to be known as Black Widow™ since I sprayed my screen and they wanted to see how BW™ looked when sprayed. I already had my PJ in my shop and some extra hardboard to spray so I did it.

After seeing the difference in performance between SF and BW™ (I thought BW™ was way better) I got hooked on wanting to know how and why projection screens worked. The developers at HTS could answer my questions and the developers at AVS couldn't.

It wasn't long before I was invited to join the DIY screen development team here at HTS and about four months after that I was asked to become a moderator.

To finally answer your question, while I was experimenting with screen mixes in my shop I got a 22" LCD monitor for my PC and that is what I have been using to watch the bulk of my movies and TV programs since then. When I want to watch something on the big screen I got out to my shop and put up a BW™ screen so I can get the blackest blacks of any mix I have tested so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then you have the coolest workshop. All i keep in mine is old mowwer. Thanks for your help. I will post after after i get started on the new screen. I have been watching football all day on a brown wall. I can not wait to see it on a screen. Its not bad on the brown wall. So if i like the brown wall the BW should blow me away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just thought about something. Should i add any tint to the primer.I will watch it a little while on the primer screen. If i should what tint and how much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Guys, I will just get white primer. I have not found AAA locally. Going to order some tonight.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Thanks Guys, I will just get white primer. I have not found AAA locally. Going to order some tonight.
I did the Silver Fire and the results turned out fantastic. I am sure the either will work ( I have 16 oz of the AAA and will do a 2 X 4 sheet to compare). But so far the SF screen (I did the lite variant) is STELLAR.

I also have 48 oz of SF Lite left over. If anyone is interested in it at cost PM me...

I also put up some screen shots at AVS...

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have 16 oz of the AAA and will do a 2 X 4 sheet to compare.
One thing to keep in mind is if you did a SF lite, Black Widow will be a much darker screen and you can't compare a light screen to a dark screen and really come away with anything conclusive. What you'd want to do is match up your SF with an appropriate screen of the same shade. I can't make any recommendations to you though because I really don't know what the color balance is of SF Lite. You could ask the developers, but they won't have any actual readings and it would just be an eyeball guess.

If you do compare the two, read through some of the threads here on doing screen testing and evaluations and remember to recalibrate for each screen. Without recalibrating you'll always see the screen you are calibrated to as better than the other screen. In the end though when comparing a light screen to a dark screen all you will really come away with is the darker screen has better blacks and the lighter screen has better whites and that's pretty much it. If you follow our instructions to make a BW and not what others tell you to do, then I guarantee you'll have a D65 neutral screen every time. Being a true D65 neutral, one thing you probably will notice is better and more accurate color reproduction.

If you could match the Munsell ratings, like say the SF Lite is close to C&S, then I would compare those side by side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For all how had a hand in making up Black Widow thanks for all the work and Information. I painted my screen yesterday and it look great. I need to adjust the colors on the projector but it still looks hands down better then it did. Thanks again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts