Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and I'm a total noob when it comes to audio. A while back I decided I'd start piecing together a new 3.1 system for our home. I have purchased a smaller receiver and a sub and now I'd like to pick out some towers (i have old bookshelf speakers and a center that I will eventually replace).

I'd like to keep the towers under 1k and I know that I don't have a ton of power coming from my receiver so I'm prob limited in size (I'm assuming).

Although I'd like suggestions on a set of towers, I'm really curious in the thought process for selecting towers based on what I currently have. So, for example, how would one approach pairing towers with with the SVS sub?

Receiver - Marantz 1403
Sub - SB1000
Room is approx 12x13

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting your budget and room dimensions.

There are a lot of options available to you.
Where are you located?
What kind of music do you listen to most often?
What do you dislike about the sound of the speakers you have now?
What speakers have you heard that you like (even if they are over budget)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the order that you asked :)...

We're in Dallas, TX.
I prob do 80% movies over music but when listening to music it ranges from classical, to classic rock to electric.
The speakers I have now are small Klipsch bookshelf speakers. I get the feeling that they just don't put out a ton of accuracy or sound for that matter.
Most recently I've heard some B&Ws (683 s2 I believe) that sounded pretty good.

Where are you located?
What kind of music do you listen to most often?
What do you dislike about the sound of the speakers you have now?
What speakers have you heard that you like (even if they are over budget)?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
For you $1000 budget the Chane ARX A5 towers would be the ones to get. Reasonably easy to drive and at $429 each it keeps the price under budget by a couple bucks.
http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A5rx-c

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Your room is on the small side, so you won't need a lot of volume to fill it. If the speakers are reasonably efficient you should be fine with that receiver. One thing I would caution against is using towers that don't match the center. Those are the 3 most critical in your system and if they aren't 'voiced' similarly you'll end up with an uneven sound field.

What if your 1K budget could (almost) buy all 5 speakers from the same company? If that sounds appealing check out the Chane rx-c speakers. A pair of A3 towers, two A1's for surrounds and the A2 for a center would get you a really nice setup, and it would be just a hair over 1K for everything. Another potential option would be the Crystal Acoustics TX-T1 towers and matching THX-CT center. I own Crystal Acoustics speakers myself and they're quite good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your room is on the small side, so you won't need a lot of volume to fill it. If the speakers are reasonably efficient you should be fine with that receiver. One thing I would caution against is using towers that don't match the center. Those are the 3 most critical in your system and if they aren't 'voiced' similarly you'll end up with an uneven sound field.

What if your 1K budget could (almost) buy all 5 speakers from the same company? If that sounds appealing check out the Chane rx-c speakers. A pair of A3 towers, two A1's for surrounds and the A2 for a center would get you a really nice setup, and it would be just a hair over 1K for everything. Another potential option would be the Crystal Acoustics TX-T1 towers and matching THX-CT center. I own Crystal Acoustics speakers myself and they're quite good.
If I looked those up correctly it looks like the price of the Chane and Crystal aren't too far apart. I've never heard either...would you happen to have any thoughts on the difference in their sound.

P.S. - I'll keep with the suggestion to match my towers and center as you suggested.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
If I looked those up correctly it looks like the price of the Chane and Crystal aren't too far apart. I've never heard either...would you happen to have any thoughts on the difference in their sound.

P.S. - I'll keep with the suggestion to match my towers and center as you suggested.
The CA speakers would cost less, but that's for 3 of them (2 towers and a center). The Chane's would be 5 speakers, so that setup would include the surrounds. Crystal Acoutics does sell the TX-B1 bookshelf but including those would exceed your budget, so I left them off.

The speakers are closer in sound than they are different. Both provide very good detail, nice imaging and 'airy' treble. Each has the ability to achieve a surprising amount of volume without breaking up, but given the size of your room that's probably not a selling feature. Efficiency is essentially the same, so that's a draw. Appearance favors the CA's - which admittedly is a personal preference - while the Chane's probably have an edge with accuracy.

Frankly, having either heard (Chane) or owned (CA) both of them I don't think either is a bad choice. Different perhaps, but not bad.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I have never heard the Chane or Crystal speakers so I have no opinion on them.
Speakers are the most personal part of any audio system and I have a hard time considering a speaker purchase without hearing them.
Most internet direct companies offer in home audition, that is a fair way to sell speakers if the company is willing to eat all shipping charges in the event you want to return them.
Dallas is a pretty good city for audio auditions.
The biggest specialty retailer is probably Starpower. They carry a lot of brands and they have them available for audition. The store on the North tollway near Beltline is the largest.
I think there is a Modia at The Shops At Legacy, I have not visited it, but I used to go to the one that closed on Central
The Best Buy at Park Ln has a real Magnolia store, they may be a little pricey but they have some great stuff there.
Of course there are a couple of Fry's in the area and they run some pretty good sales and even though some poo poo regular Best Buys they usually have several decent speakers hooked up you can listen too.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The issue I have with many if not all store front audio places is the markup they add to the price of speakers. Internet direct companies like Chane, SVS HSU and so forth is they give you a much bigger bang for buck as your not paying much overhead costs.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Having the A5rx-c, A2rx-c, and A1rx-c, I'll recommend any of the Chane speakers for powerful movies and all classes of music. With these you're paying for great audio performance instead of non essential visual eye candy (no high dollar exotic wood veneers or glossy piano black paint) and that is why I bought these. I would describe the look as masculine instead of elegant. Perfect for me.

I haven't heard the A3rx-c (tower speaker) but the A2rx-c is very similar (very large bookshelf). If you're open to the idea of a large bookshelf speaker, the A2rx-c would easily fill that space with sound. Using 3 identical A2rx-c speakers for the front sound stage would be optimal and it would save a few dollars compared to the A3rx-c towers.

Check out this HTS review & discussion about the A2rx-c 3.1 setup....

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...7865-chane-a2rx-c-5-0-loudspeaker-review.html

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Vrenfroe,
What do you think of the SB1000?
Did it make much difference to the system you have now?

Also which Klipsch bookshelf speakers do you have now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bookshelf speakers I have are about 15 years old. They are ksb 1.1s I believe. Also, the sb1000 is great but I didn't own anything before so I don't have a baseline to compare against. I do, however, really like it.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Thanks for answering the questions. I am a big believer in listening to speakers and learning what you like. All the different brands sound different and even within the same series of speakers they sound different/better with each step up. The SB 1000 is a very nice unit, it is capable of a lot. I might not rule out purchasing $1000/pr bookshelf speakers instead of the towers, you can get considerably higher in the speaker line up going that route. Just something to consider. I hesitate to start recommending specific speakers since they really are a very personal preference piece of gear. KEF, Tannoy, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Dali, B&W, Sonus Faber all make some nice equipment.
Between Starpower and the Best Buy at Central and Park Ln you should be able to listen to most of these brands.
There are some more shops around Dallas if you still need more options let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for answering the questions. I am a big believer in listening to speakers and learning what you like. All the different brands sound different and even within the same series of speakers they sound different/better with each step up. The SB 1000 is a very nice unit, it is capable of a lot. I might not rule out purchasing $1000/pr bookshelf speakers instead of the towers, you can get considerably higher in the speaker line up going that route. Just something to consider. I hesitate to start recommending specific speakers since they really are a very personal preference piece of gear. KEF, Tannoy, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Dali, B&W, Sonus Faber all make some nice equipment.
Between Starpower and the Best Buy at Central and Park Ln you should be able to listen to most of these brands.
There are some more shops around Dallas if you still need more options let me know.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll hit those places up before I make a final decision. I've tried best buy and I did like the BW towers I listened to. One reason I was leaning towards towers was because of the overall look. Our TV doesnt leave enough room on the stand for speakers to sit and, though it may sound silly, I don't like the look of book shelf speakers on narrow stands.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
As a general rule towers will also dig deeper in frequency response.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'll hit those places up before I make a final decision. I've tried best buy and I did like the BW towers I listened to. One reason I was leaning towards towers was because of the overall look. Our TV doesnt leave enough room on the stand for speakers to sit and, though it may sound silly, I don't like the look of book shelf speakers on narrow stands.
If you're open to a bookshelf speaker with stands that make them appear to be towers, I'd consider the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2. That's what I own, and I've never heard better, for either home theater or music.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack

1 - 20 of 33 Posts