Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a TV with 2 HDMI ports. I currently have the cable box connected to one, and my playstation 3 connected to the other one.

I’m wanting to add a surround sound system to the whole setup. I don’t’ want to use component cables either.

What would be the best way of hooking everything up? to where I can be watching tv and turn on the surround sound anytime I want, or playing my playstaion 3 with surround sound on. I would really like to do it all with HDMI cables only.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you want to use the surround sound all the time, the way to connect everything is through the AVR. All your sources will connect to the AVR, and it will have a single HDMI to the display, and do all the switching for you. Sound will be delivered to the speakers via the AVR.

If you want to use the display's speakers by themselves sometimes, then that's a different can of worms. You could get one of the HDMI splitter boxes that would let you connect all your sources to it, then have one out to the AVR, and another to the display. Then you just pick the input on your TV, one contains only the picture signal (from the AVR) and the other contains picture and sound (from the splitter box).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you want to use the surround sound all the time, the way to connect everything is through the AVR. All your sources will connect to the AVR, and it will have a single HDMI to the display, and do all the switching for you. Sound will be delivered to the speakers via the AVR.

If you want to use the display's speakers by themselves sometimes, then that's a different can of worms. You could get one of the HDMI splitter boxes that would let you connect all your sources to it, then have one out to the AVR, and another to the display. Then you just pick the input on your TV, one contains only the picture signal (from the AVR) and the other contains picture and sound (from the splitter box).
sorry dude, but what is an avr?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if connected the sound system to the tv with an optical cable would that work as well?

right now i have to switch between HDMI 1 & 2 depending if i'm watching tv or i'm on the ps3. i'd just like to be able to turn on the surround sound at anytime wether i'm watching tv or playing.

i dont want to have it on all the time since i'm in a condominium

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you're not wanting to use the AVR (surround sound) all the time, then I think the best route is to get an HDMI switching box like this one, currently out of stock, unfortunately.

That way, you can hook up all your sources to the switch box, and then have one HDMI to the AVR, and then to the TV, and one directly from the switch box to the TV. When listening to surround, the signal would be sent through the AVR, when using TV speakers, the signal would be sent directly to the TV. A universal remote would take the pain out of switching.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do you have equipment in mind? I guess I'm not sure what the purpose of the optical cable would be if you already have HDMI connection.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
would the optical cable way work? like i posted above on post # 5
Yes, it should work just fine the only thing you would have to make sure of is if your playing a BluRay DVD that you wont have any audio over optical if you choose to used the uncompressed audio track (TrueHD or DTS MA) as they only work over HDMI.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sure, but you can get an HDMI from monoprice for just as cheap and that is better.
As tenzip said, get an AVR that is either 5.1 or 7.1(up to you), then connect both the cable box and PS3 to it, then a single HDMI to the tv.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are aware that the above system does not have any HDMI inputs. Have a look at this thread before you make up your mind about going that route. You would be much better off buying separate components starting with a decent receiver like the Onkyo 606
i noticed it but i didnt know what the difference between the input HDMI and output HDMI is?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
i noticed it but i didnt know what the difference between the input HDMI and output HDMI is?
The HDMI output would go to your display but is not an input so you would not be able to hook up any devices using HDMI to the system at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The HDMI output would go to your display but is not an input so you would not be able to hook up any devices using HDMI to the system at all.
ohh ok got it... so it would just be easier to buy a seperate receiver, and seperate speaker system and hook up the cable box and ps3 to the receiver, and the receiver to the tv?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, that is your best way to do it. you can run a component video cable and an optical cable to your TV (if it has an input for it) directly from the PS3 and cable box so you can still use it with the receiver off if you choose.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
the equipment i want is going to be this or something really similar
I already read the posts ... and I agree that you're better with an AVR and speakers :yes:

If you decide to go with a complete HTIB (Home Theater In a Box) ... just look for something that it has a receiver; it will be easier to upgrade the speakers (the Samsung you showed at BB ... it has a DVD player and speakers, which is not good because you can't upgrade anything if you don't change the whole system ...)

Take a look at this HTIB's ... they're not the best, but better than most HTIB's ..... Onkyo HT-S5100 , Onkyo HT-S6100 and Onkyo HT-S7100

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Albert, What is your maximum budget as this will ultimately decide what you can get. If your only limited to around $300 then its best to buy one thing at a time starting with a receiver then front speakers a sub and so on. In the end you will be much happier and will have a much better system. I dont think many of us here can say that we bought everything all at once. It took me years to get where I am.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Albert, What is your maximum budget as this will ultimately decide what you can get. If your only limited to around $300 then its best to buy one thing at a time starting with a receiver then front speakers a sub and so on. In the end you will be much happier and will have a much better system. I dont think many of us here can say that we bought everything all at once. It took me years to get where I am.
well originally i wanted to spend about no more than $300, but seeing as it might be more difficult that way, i'll probably end up spending about $500 or so... i was looking at other HTIB's at best buy that have at least 2 HDMI imputs.

what do you think about something like this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8724366&type=product&id=1200703057943

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8743595&type=product&id=1202648988836

1 - 20 of 40 Posts