Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the WinISD software and CSS SDX-15 Driver information from this site. The program tells me I can either pick the driver information from the program database or from my driver list. The SDX-15 is not listed in the program database and I can find no way to access the file containing the driver information that I downloaded. I have tried to enter the driver parameters manual and it gives me an error saying that there is a problem with the parameters Qes, Qms, and Qts.

Any suggestions?

John

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dropped the driver information file into the "ProgramFiles/Linearteam/WinISDPro/Drivers" folder and can now start a new project with the correct driver parameters. I don't know what alignment to specify but I am getting some output. I'll refer back to the tutorial to see if I can get output that resembles some of the posts I've seen.

I do get a strange message every time I attempt to close the program. It is as follows?

Access violation at address XXXXXXXXX. Read of address XXXXXXXXXXX.

I have to close the program using the Task Manager to kill the process.

John

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would like to get some input on what frequency and volume I should be shooting for. Space is not a problem for me but I don't want to make the enclosure bigger than necessary. I used 14 hz and 500 liters and got a tube 28 inches in DIA and 50 inches tall. The port was only 4" DIA and about 7" long. That doesn't seem correct.

Any advice?

John

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The program has issues closing in Vista. Go to the program properties and run it in compatibility mode for XP and that will fix the close down bug issue.

I take it your modelling a ported sub?

If so, what tune you choose is upto you, but you need to play with the design to get one that works well. You need to ensure port airspeed stays low enough, and that port resonance stays above the subs operating frequency range to the tune of at least 50hz. You can play with the tune, the port sizes and the enclosure size to alter the figures for the things Ive mentioned above. Its then just a case of playing with the figures to find a design your happy with that works well. Also, keep an eye on the lengths of your ports to make sure they dont end up incredibly long.

If you upload your driver file, I'll have a play with the model for you and check your design and see what else might work well. I take it your set on a cylinder design then?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Would like to get some input on what frequency and volume I should be shooting for. Space is not a problem for me but I don't want to make the enclosure bigger than necessary. I used 14 hz and 500 liters and got a tube 28 inches in DIA and 50 inches tall. The port was only 4" DIA and about 7" long. That doesn't seem correct.

Any advice?

John
375 liters tuned to 15 hz with 1000 watts input power and a 8" diameter port 40" long would fit in a 24" diameter tube.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The program has issues closing in Vista. Go to the program properties and run it in compatibility mode for XP and that will fix the close down bug issue.

I take it your modelling a ported sub?

If so, what tune you choose is upto you, but you need to play with the design to get one that works well. You need to ensure port airspeed stays low enough, and that port resonance stays above the subs operating frequency range to the tune of at least 50hz. You can play with the tune, the port sizes and the enclosure size to alter the figures for the things Ive mentioned above. Its then just a case of playing with the figures to find a design your happy with that works well. Also, keep an eye on the lengths of your ports to make sure they dont end up incredibly long.

If you upload your driver file, I'll have a play with the model for you and check your design and see what else might work well. I take it your set on a cylinder design then?
Thanks for the response Moonfly.

Yes, I am modeling a ported sub. I like this build by member Iglura.

I already have aquired a QSC RMX5050 amp and a pair of CSS SDX-15 and am trying to learn the software in the process of sizing the enclosure. Member Mike P has graciously provided his recommended parameters (375 liters tuned to 15 hz with 1000 watts input power and a 8" diameter port 40" long). and I was just wanting to play around with that to see if I could go a little bigger and get more low frequency.

The Creative Sound Solutions SDX-15 driver file is available here. I'd consider it a favor if you would play around with it. I think my max on diameter should be 28" to 30" and max height should be 6 to 7 feet.

Thanks again Moonfly!

John

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Mikes recommendation is pretty spot on, and I'd be surprised if there was much to gain by going larger than that already quite decent sized sub. I can have a play if you want though.

<edit>

Ive just had a quick play and although you can gain a small amount of extra output from the port by going with a larger cabinet, its not really worth it. I would use Mikes parameters.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Oh dear, so if I update my OS I'm going to be stuck with issues again. I'm sure M$ do it on purpose.
I may find a way to get it to work. I've not really tried too hard to be honest. It doesn't annoy me.

7 has a much better taskbar and is way more stable. The worst 7 feature is the lack of printer detection, but this is unnecessary. I can look up my printer model and manually install the drivers just fine.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You can play around with different box sizes and tuning and compare them. There isn't much information in most DVD's below 15 hz. A bigger box size means less power required to reach Xmax, you get more low end output below 15 hz and less output from 15 hz and up. It all depends what you're looking for.

Text Font Line Technology Electronic device

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I'm also not a big fan of the way the slight dip as the output transfers from driver to port increases (or the port output increases) giving a less smooth response. Sure it could eq out, but I dont like the idea of that issue being inherent in the design.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I may find a way to get it to work. I've not really tried too hard to be honest. It doesn't annoy me.

7 has a much better taskbar and is way more stable. The worst 7 feature is the lack of printer detection, but this is unnecessary. I can look up my printer model and manually install the drivers just fine.
I have WinISD Pro running on my Windows 7 computer in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode and it basically works, no more error when closing the program.

The only funny I see, and it isn't a big deal, is any filters I apply (high-pass, etc.) become disabled when I re-open the program and re-open the saved file. If I simply re-enable the filter I get an odd error message. So effectively every time I close and re-open the program I have to delete any filters and re-create them again. If I leave the program open, I have no problems. No biggie.

Try the Windows 98/ME compatibility mode.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.