Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have windows 10, UMIK-1.

I was following the PDF from this thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...ues-how-interpret-graphs-10.html#post22823228

When I get to the Input/Output part of the preferences at first the Mic wasn't active, fooled around a bit, got it active, but then the sound was not. Went back and forth like this a couple times. When I changed to JAVA instead of ASIO everything appeared as it should.

Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions? Do I need an external soundcard?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Presume you are using ASIO4All. It needs to be in Advanced mode to allow an input and output from different devices to be active at the same time if that is what you are trying to use (click the spanner/wrench). There is a lot of debugging detail in that guide, worth reading through very carefully.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there is a lot of info, till you see this
" (If the devices are not active, our current knowledge of how to troubleshoot is limited, but a non-active device is a show-stopper.)"

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I wish it weren't so, but the number of ways a device can be "not active" approaches the infinite.

If the java driver works and does what you need it to, I suggest you go with it. Getting stuck on principles - it should work so I am going to keep after it until it does - is a sure-fire way to waste a lot of time working with digital audio. I end up about 50/50 between java and ASIO.

If you need ASIO to work so you can access all the I/O you want to, and the java driver won't, that can literally take a few hours or a few minutes to resolve. Again, the world of digital audio... Turn the port control off then back on again, restart REW, select a different output, then the right one again, etc... An external sound card will probably not solve the issue by itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts