Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a sub i wanna usein my house a old orion hcca 12in dual 2 ohm made by tc sounds but i need help with the enclosure can you help
specs
re 1.11 ohms
levc1.16mH
SENSITIVITY 94.09
fs 37.3hz
qms 4.51
qes 0.40
qts0.368
bl 10.76TM
SD 76SQ.IN
VAS 1.14CU.FT
XMAS 15.2
BASKET DISPLACMENT 244CU.
can you tell me what box would work size tuning port legnth?

·
Registered
92 Posts
From the little I see, this driver desires a small box with an fs suitable for car Audio. Though I don't know much about sealed, I suspect it may do better in a sealed alignment or with a PR. If it must be ported, it seems the largest workable box will be 2.25 to 2.5 cu ft. If it is limited to 1000 watts max at 20hz tuning it should attain max 110db. The impractical thing is is that even with a 4th order highpass at 20hz it's maximum port airspeed is barely restricted to 33m/s @19hz with a 4 in diameter port.. Fitting a 35 inch port in this small box is also a challenge except it is slotted.
A low pass LR4 at 80hz forms an ascending response curve that can complement a room to give a flat FR and you'll have f3 about 18.5hz

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you must do a HT sub with this, I'm thinking PR because of high port airspeed
but if it must be ported then 2.25 cuft appears to give the best balance of port airspeed, group delay, flat FR and workable port length.
The tradeoff is a fairly high port airspeed (33m/s).
Like I said if you convert a 4.02in diameter port to a slot port, you get approx 1in of port height and 13in of port width.
Taking into account a total port volume (34.5in long with a half inch thick inner wall) + bracing and driver volume, you get an internal volume of about 3.25 cuft.
To create room for a port spanning only two walls and having just a single fold, a tower kind of box would be the way to go.
Suggested internal dimensions would be 13x13x33.25. The port will only climb up to 21in on the back wall. Come to think of it the port will even be substantially shorter by virtue of conversion to slot port.
How do you see this plan so far?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could you recomend a driver better suited to my build ? why is port speed a problem and what exactley makes that sub a poor choice
my set up pioneer elite 7.4.2 receive dolby atmos front tower speakers jbl arena with dual 8 in drivers 3 in mid and a air motion ribbon tweeter center jbl dual 6.5 drivers air motion ribbon tweeter 4 rear speakers jbl 6.5 drivers with you guessed it air motion ribbon tweeters receiver doing 150 watts rms 6 ohm had a klipsch 13 powered sub 2 plate amps later :frown: last one toom out the driver bought a crown xls 1502 to power 1 or 2 subs

·
Registered
92 Posts
I only see it as a poor choice wrt building a ported home theatre sub. Though I can't speak with regards to PR or sealed alignment but I see that the quoted sensitivity is not correct (more like 88.25).
Drawbacks as a ported build are ;
Fairly high fs,
Fairly Low efficiency with max spl limited to 110db.
Small box with big long port and high port airspeed.
4th order filters required to try to tame both airspeed and FR affecting group delay.

Hopefully someone else will chime in as per better choice of drivers as I have limited info in this regard.

Congratulations on your obviously sophisticated HT system. If you've gone to all this effort, you need really good subs IMHO.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go further down that thread and see the t/s parameters and specs. Never the same driver. Difference is night and day.
The OP's own driver is Orion 12hcca dual 2 Ohms. I wonder how many Orion 12" drivers there are. Strange!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys those specs. You found -isn't. My sub it is a newer model. mine. Is. From. 1999/03 made by tc sounds a t9 motor. If. You look up. Orion hcca d12 or 12d you will. Find the. Sub sorry.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Hey guys those specs. You found -isn't. My sub it is a newer model. mine. Is. From. 1999/03 made by tc sounds a t9 motor. If. You look up. Orion hcca d12 or 12d you will. Find the. Sub sorry.
Do you have a link to where you found the t/s parameters?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
OK, here is how it models in WinIsd, You will need a high pass filter at around 35 Hz to prevent over-excursion.
I would suggest a slot port to minimise chuffing. The size and length will depend on your intended box size.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK, here is how it models in WinIsd, You will need a high pass filter at around 35Hz
Bill I think the OP already has this as a car sub and wants to make a HT sub. It needs to be tuned much lower.
Also take a look at the box volume on the WinISD page you displayed, it is less than one cu.ft. The OP is not at liberty to change the volume if he still wants this nice looking FR.
What you displayed is closer to WinISD's first suggested alignment. However if you play around it to get a tuning of 20hz the efficiency reduces but with steep high and low pass filters you get a workable HT sub alignment (even better with room gain) in a 2.25 cu ft which vastly reduces airspeed and allows decent slot port folding as well as adequate infrasonics. This is the reason for the design I suggested in my earlier posts

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys I can build. Another box if you think. That is what I need. I am a novice at. Home audio. Sub I bought a amp and. Had some. Subs I love the. Orion. That subs is awsome. Didn't know. It would. B. Hard to. Use in a home. App any advice. On box is awsome. You guys are so. Nice. Thank you for. Your tim .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys I can build. Another box if you think. That is what I need. I am a novice at. Home audio. Sub I bought a amp and. Had some. Subs I love the. Orion. That subs is awsome. Didn't know. It would. B. Hard to. Use in a home. App any advice. On box is awsome. You guys are so. Nice. Thank you for. Your tim .

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Bill I think the OP already has this as a car sub and wants to make a HT sub. It needs to be tuned much lower.
Also take a look at the box volume on the WinISD page you displayed, it is less than one cu.ft. The OP is not at liberty to change the volume if he still wants this nice looking FR.
You're right, I did try a 3dB extended bass shelf alignment but with only 15mm of cone excursion I wasn't sure if that would give any real benefits.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Guys I can build. Another box if you think. That is what I need. I am a novice at. Home audio. .
If you really want to build a new sub from this driver why not read my posts 4 and 5 again carefully and see whether you can make a start from there. If there is anything you don't understand there or you would like me to give more details I'll be glad to do so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok toffkanda i am back on the page io think you want me if this is it tell me but my questions still the same can you guys please school me in what i need to know to take advantage of my ultimax 15 i am ordering?

·
Registered
92 Posts
First off what do you prefer in a Subwoofer? Is loudness your main need or would you like it to go really low in frequency (that is deep deep bass) ?
What size of box are you ready to accept, up to 10 or 11cuft? Do you mostly listen to music or watch movies?
This will help to define the design. Also since you say you don't know much about these things (who does) , would you rather follow directions on how to build it or use this as a learning process.? If want to learn you've got to download the latest version of WinISD to get started. It's not so hard, before you know it you'll know it LOL.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts