Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just burned out my 30 year old B&D electric drill using a hole saw so it's a good excuse to buy something new :jump:. I found the thread regarding DeWalt tools but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about Makida. The unit I was looking at weights only 3.5 lbs versus 5.2 for the DeWalt with the same specs (assuming one can trust the box).

Thanks.

Bob

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Nearly all of my corded and cordless tools are Makita. Same with my father. We have had excellent service out of all of our Makita tools. I'd put them right up there with DeWalt, which by many is claimed to be the best of the best.

The last drill I purchased was the Makita Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill. It is the meanest drill I've ever owned. Kudos to Makita... :T

What particular model are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sonnie,

Thanks for the information. That kind of recommendation coming from you means a lot.

Bob

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I'm a big fan of Bosch and Porter Cable tools, but that being said, none of them are cordless. I have a Craftsman Pro 12V cordless drill that I like, but would not recommend.

I have a Bosch cordless driver coming in, but it's more for putting screws in tight spaces, not drilling.

Based on what I've read on woodworking forums, though, Makita and Dewalt both make excellent tools. However, a surprising frontrunner is the Panasonic cordless drill (I believe it's the only tool they make :) ). Apparently it's very reliable and pretty cheap.

Best of luck.

AC

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the input. I decided to go with the Makita BDF-452 (18V) since I really liked the light weight. I can't believe that I waited this long to upgrade to a better drill. Keyless chuck :jiggy:, amazing torque :flex:, variable speed :jump:. I feel like I just came out of a cave :doh:.

(I did hear about the Panasonic but couldn't find any in the area. It did get some very good press)

Bob

D

·
0 Posts
I have a rigid 24v lithium Ion drill that has a lifetime warranty thru home depot, that I absolutely love, I have also had numerous makita products that have lasted a long time as well

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at the Rigid drills but to be honest, I'm chicken little when it comes to buying a brand that I have very little knowledge about. I really need to change that frame of mind but it's good to hear that you've had a positive experience with it. 24V sounds nice and I bet it has good torque.

Bob

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
It's not really a drill, but I just got a Bosch I-Driver (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bidrvu.html)

It was a refurb, but it is wonderful. 30 minute charge, plenty of power, and a great clutch system (electronic, so when you reach the limit, it just stops). It's not an impactor, but for drilling small holes (i.e. speaker driver mounts) and driving in screws it is incredible. The articulating head has already come in handy fitting into tight spaces.

And while it looks like the trigger location would make it unwieldy or imbalanced, it is very nice to use. I think from now on, I'm going to stick with one corded drill and use this little guy for all my screwdriving.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to stick with one corded drill and use this little guy for all my screwdriving.
I'm not sure if Sonnie allows someone hijacking their own thread but this comment makes me wonder how many people have both cordless and corded drills. I thought about it initially but decided against it because I was enjoying the cordless too much (new toy syndrome).

Bob

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
I have a makita cordless, dewalt cordless and a bosh electric and by far the best one is the makita:hail:, you made the right decision!!:bigsmile:

For the heavy duty jobs I used my air drill:devil:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I own a corded Makita drill... older model, but since I've had the Makita Lithium-Ion drill, I can't remember anything it couldn't handle.

I also have a small FireStorm cordless screwdriver ... I think it's a 3.6v (it's at work). I've been impressed by its power. It is definitely better than my Milwaukee 4.8v cordless screwdriver.

·
Registered
54 Posts
With the construction company that I work for we use Dewalt exclusively and we have had great results. Our dills go through a beating and they work like the day we got them. So if you were going to buy a new drill I would look for a nice Dewalt combo set.

D

·
0 Posts
for the average home user...(people who don't use their tools to earn a living)...really any of the recommended brands would be great...I chose the rigid for the warranty and the price...I have had makita drills that I used every day when I was a car audio installer and never had a complaint with... i even ran one over with a h2 on accident and it still worked fine...one think to think about is some of the larger cordless drills are quite heavy....

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
AT home I still have an old 9.6 volt Makita drill and its still working great after 20 years of use (I replaced the battery 10 years ago).
I have used Makita at work as well and can say that the build quality of the LXT series of cordless tools are superb.
We hade a cheaper Makita 14volt drill and it only lasted 6 months, The gears are made of Plastic (lightweight) and cant handle the torque that we sometimes put it through. The XLT 18volt hammer drill has already proven to do all the jobs that I throw at it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Makita are good drills but i don`t know if the fiability is as good as deWalt ... i`m sure that makitas are very close to deWalt`s fiability ... but you know if you`re gonna buy a makita it's gonna do the same job as deWalt.I hope that helps.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I know this is going to make me seem like a ... I don't know what this is going to make me look like. Anyway, I just bought the Ryobi package at Home Depot. If I were a real carpenter, I'd probably go for something slightly more high end, but as a weekend warrior of sorts, the inexpensive Ryobi has done me well.

JCD

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JCD,

Thanks for your input and I honestly do not want to be negative but I have not had much luck with things made by Ryobi. I wish you better fortunes but don't lose that receipt just in case.

Bob

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
No offense taken.. maybe I've been lucky, but I've had it for close to two years and I haven't had any problems. A contractor friend of mine has a set he keeps for home use as well (he has Dewalt for business). He's happy with them for general home use as well.

All that being said, I would NEVER say Ryobi = Dewalt or Old Milwaukee or ... it's definitely on the low end of the tool hierarchy.

JCD

·
Registered
533 Posts
Stay away from Dewalt cordless.... as they are using Nicad batteries, and they discharge all by themselves... as far as the tools themselves, they work just fine...
I had a set I put to hard use for many years, and they held up quite well.. but the batteries were junk... at least use NiMH for gods sake...
Im looking forward to the new Li-Ion stuff coming out... :)

Makita are good, Milwaukee, Bosch, Rigid... are at the top of the list in my book...

Just bought a new Rigid Table Saw http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/TS2400LS-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm for my upcoming dual sub build...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts