Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
The DeWalt Cordless are pretty much industry standard, they will take the beating of in out use for a trade where a cheaper drill would burn out in a couple of months. That said Makita are also up there. If I had a choice i would get the dewalt but if you like the makita better than go for it.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Since I've posted this thread, I have seen DeWalt at pretty much every construction site that I've noticed (probably around 7) and some of those tools get treated pretty shabbily especially if they're owned by the company and not the individual.

As a previous part time photographer, I am very familiar with NiCad batteries and must admit that the new Li batteries are much nicer. The recharge time on the Mikita is around 15 minutes plus they are very lightweight.

Again, thanks all for your input.

JCD - Thanks for understanding my response.

Bob

R

·
0 Posts
I would go with either milwaukee for corded or festool for cordless. I have had good luck with both of them. The milwaukee's will last forever if treated right.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
We currently use both Makita and de walt at work, they both get a terrible beating from excessive use, over use and untrained use. I would actually have to put the makita slightly in front for durability. yet the Dewalts, I would say, get a little more use out of each battery. That having been said, I would re-iterate that either one will last forever when only used domestically.

I'm not sure if Sonnie allows someone hijacking their own thread but this comment makes me wonder how many people have both cordless and corded drills. I thought about it initially but decided against it because I was enjoying the cordless too much (new toy syndrome).
I have a Hitachi DV20V power hammer/drill as well as 3 GMC cordless drills at home. The hitachi is there when I need serious power (that even a top end cordless can't supply) and the GMC's I have never found wanting for normal home use.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've got several buddies in the construction industry and have gotten fed up with DeWalt drills. One of them is part owner in the family business and has gotten frustrated by batteries that won't hold a charge and cluthes that wear out. Not to mention that high price of battery replacement Since they provide the tools that their employees use they have switched out to Makita I believe.

I needed a hammer drill when I was doing HT installs in Orlando and I actually picked up a Craftsman 19.2V cordless for $100 at Christmas time a couple of years ago. The DeWalt guys where constantly using my drill. I don't use it on a daily basis any longer but I've been extremely impressed with it for the money.

S

·
0 Posts
I LOVE my Hitachi drill. Never let me down once, plenty of power.

I really like Hitachis new Li-Ion batt drills too. I plan on buying more of their products too.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I LOVE my Hitachi drill. Never let me down once, plenty of power.

I really like Hitachis new Li-Ion batt drills too. I plan on buying more of their products too.
We have just taken in about 15 new hitachi 12V driver drills at work and can vouch for their durability and strength. So far I have only had to send 2 off to have their gearboxes rebuilt, this is pretty good going so far as each drill gets very hard use, some are even mistreated. Also they are smaller than the equavilant dewalts but the battery lasts longer.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts